complete beginner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default complete beginner

hey guys, i apologise in advance if there have been a million threads like this before. if so, please send me a link as i couldnt find one straight away.

anyways, ive been djing on cdjs for a while now and would like to get myself a vci 100. however im not completely sure i understand completely what is necessary. if i get the vci and a laptop, i cant connect them straight away can i? is the numark IO soundcard what i need? also, what about the headphone issue? where do they go? do they fit in this numark IO? and how do i switch between headphone channels? do i do that with the software?

sorry for sounding like an idiot but i apprechiate any help! cheers!

dont know if you've spotted this thread yet (2nd under yours)
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5407

the dj/io is a good soundcard to start, you actually plug your headphoes into the dj/io and adjust the volumen on it as well. about the channels i'm not quite sure, but you should be doing it in software itself, as long as you got the right outputsettings in the preferences..

and welcome to the forum

Tech Wizard

alright i get it now. thanks! i cant wait to order the vci 100, need to save a little more but as far as i can see its a worth it compared to the chaper "plastik" mixers available!

you're welcome.. can't wait to get home in 2 month and order one as well

Or if you are used to plugging in to the main mixer you can take two channels and monitor off that.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

ok the more research i do the more questions i seem to have, so i guess ill have to bugg you guys again. I cant seem to see line ins on the VCI100, and i first thought u plug your laptop into the audio interface and then split the signal into 2 line ins and then to the vci. so does your vci connect straight to your laptop then yes? usb can transmit 2 channels? so the only reason for the audio interface is to plug in your headphones? it does not connect to the vci?

thanks for your patience!

the vci100 is a midi controller only. there is no sound coming out it, neither goes any sound in.

you connect the vci via usb to your laptop as well as your soundcard, which you connect to your stereo..

watch this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUtfC7vaLgk
    Last edited by basspenetrator; 06-01-2009 at 08:02 AM.

Tech Wizard

cheers! just what i needed!

Quote Originally Posted by weltraumpapst View Post
    the dj/io is a good soundcard to start, you actually plug your headphoes into the dj/io and adjust the volumen on it as well. about the channels i'm not quite sure, but you should be doing it in software itself, as long as you got the right outputsettings in the preferences..
    there are no sound knobs on the djio except for the mic vol. knob. you adjust the volume internally.

if you are getting the dj/io for less then the standard 100 then maybe consider it but if you are paying full price there are better options if you look used. it also depends on what you will want to do down the road, the dj/io is very limited in the number of ins and outs compared to other "dj" soundcards. maybe you'll want to use the cdjs in a dvs/midi setup down the road and you will need audio ins. maybe you'll want to mix 4 decks externally and you'll need four stereo outs.

but before you make the switch from cdjs to vci-100 may i ask what you are trying to accomplish? if you are a mixing dj used to beatmatching and constantly using the pitch fader, you will probably be dissapointed in the standard midi resolution pitch faders on the vci-100.

if your goal is a small all in one solution and want more a replication of your cdj decks then perhaps look at the vci-300 or wait until the vci-100 goes 14-bit midi in the new firmware. the vci-300 has a soundcard built in as well.

thx charo for the correction.. don't own an IO, was just guessing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast