Anybody here use DVS with VDJ? I have a problem!!!

Default Anybody here use DVS with VDJ? I have a problem!!!

Hi All,

I'm having a slight problem with VDJ and Timecode Records. Basically, if I use the records in absolute mode, everything works exactly as expected. As soon as I switch it to either relative or smart relative, the pitch of the track in VDJ changes. By this I mean that it will slowly increase or decrease. At the start of the track the pitch will be fine, but by the end it can be up to 60bpm faster or slower!

The pitch slider in VDJ slowly moves up or down during the song, and the tempo increases/decreases. If i click the pitch reset button next to the slider, the pitch will slowly reset itself, but after about 5 seconds it starts drifting again. I am not moving the pitch slider on the turntables at all during this time, it is staying at 0.

I have 100% quality timecode reading in the setup, and as far as I know all the other settings are fine. If I look at the pitch in the timecode config it hovers between -0.4 and +0.5. I am using the Serato CV-02 Clear vinyls, and i have tried using both side A and B of the record and the same thing happens.

Anybody got any ideas?
    Last edited by robdquick; 06-27-2012 at 04:20 AM.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

are you using the correct setting for the vinyl? they all have different encoding so you need to choose the correct one in the timecode config. I have never had this problem though to be able to give you a solution, maybe you should send in a support ticket to atomix as they may have a solution, but it sounds like an issue decoding the pitch change of the vinyl timecode as it changes pitch to let the software know the absolute position of the record.

Also make sure your turntable is properly grounded, when I used to use my djm600 I had to reground occasionally otherwise the track would fast forward to the end, but it wasn't gradual it happened in an instant.
    Last edited by synthet1c; 06-27-2012 at 04:32 AM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Thanks Synthetic,

I have set the vinyl to be Serato CV-02 in the settings, and made sure that its on the right side. I will check the grounding, although both turntables are connected to the mixer with grounding wire.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ

posting up a screenshot of your timecode config would be helpful aswell, just need to signal and debug screens, if you can put it in paint and crop the image as I am on a netbook sized tablet so can't see details of full screenshots.

TimecodeConfig.jpg

Here is my config. I have just noticed that The invert signal stereo and Invert signal phase boxes are checked. If I uncheck these boxes I only get a 2-3% quality. Could this be the problem? If I remember it's got something to do with the way the needles/carts are connected to the tonearm? I have never changed the carts or needles on these decks, I bought them second hand off of someone and have never done anything to them.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ

synthet1c,

Did you ever get a chance to look at my screenshot?

2nd Generation Mobile DJ

that's what it should look like, If I were you I'd turn down the gain a little to make the signal about 10% smaller, turn the silence knob up about 5% and tweek the phase and left/right knobs to make the signal as close to a circle as possible. The phase on the debug screen is where I thought the problem would be but it looks correct.

Also I have my "pitch sensibility" set at 5.71% and invert stereo and phase off using CV02-B, M447's and an Audio 8 soundcard.

Thanks, I will try this out and let you know how I get on!

2nd Generation Mobile DJ

Well, no luck so far. Tried everything you said, plus I switched the wires round in the headshell so that I didn't have to have the invert stereo/phase boxes checked, and the same thing is happening. I now honestly have no idea why this is happening! I've checked the speed of the record using the strobe lights and it's at a constant speed, and if I play a normal record it doesn't speed up.

Am waiting to hear back from atomix as I have submitted a ticket to them.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ