People that have done outdoor parties with no power, what have you used?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default People that have done outdoor parties with no power, what have you used?

I'm organizing some parties that will be going from place to place on a trip and some location will have power and some won't. I'm trying to get a list of things together to have pretty damn good sound for about 100-200 people like on a beach, or camping, or whatever.

So far:

- Dj equipment (CDJs, DJM) etc.
    - PA system
    - Sub
    - Amp
    - Generator of sorts?
    - Lights/Lighting rig

Is there anything I'm missing? Could you give some suggestions on the system itself? I've never really organized anything like this before so I'm not sure what size PA's, sub, or amp to get. Everything I've ever done has already been set up or in my home/house parties with monitors. Also will a generator be able to power all that? I'm going to try to research prices to rent and buy some of the stuff. I figured before I go blindly looking on the web, I ask you fine folks.

Well, there are all sizes of generators, so you should be able to find one that will fit your needs. Of course the really big ones aren't all that portable anymore. Definitely calculate the power consumption of everything you're gonna connect and leave some headroom.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

these amps are efficient as hell: http://www.behringer.com/CN/products/NU6000.aspx

they have a DSP model too.

lights are amp hogs unless you can find LED's.

anything with heat (lights, amps, foggers) and/or motors (fans, motorized beams) is gonna put a heavy load on generators.

>

Hmmm thanks for the info. I assumed I wouldn't be having some huge generator just cause I'm not powering a festival or anything. But a fairly decent sized generator will probably be needed.

Thanks for the amp recommendation. I'll look into it.

Its tough not really knowing what to do for something like this.

Tech Guru

I would get a 10K watt generator at minimum. You will have to get a ground rod, copper wire (#6), and an "acorn" to properly ground it. Also will most likely need to make up a distribution box.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

see if you can find any people that have played and/or setup sound recently at Burning Man Festival. With a nice simple LED light show and some high efficiency CLASS D amps you'd be surprised the stuff you can get pumping with a smaller generator.

>

I would look into some tents to help protect everything from the elements.

Permits so the authorities don't make the whole thing a waste of time.

haha yeah we are sorting all those things out. I got a team of other people working on all that stuff. They just want me to figure out the djing part. We would likely have a small tent to protect the gear.

I will talk to some burning man people here in SF who set up the things.

Any recommendations on amps, PAs, subs? Size wise and brand?

I'm a noob at this outdoor stuff so its kinda overwhelming to figure it all out.

how loud are you looking to go? Earth shaking, or just loud enough to give it clear, yet talk-overable sound?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast