VST Instruments EVERYONE Should Have
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Exclamation VST Instruments EVERYONE Should Have

First of all, I will start by saying that if you are going to start producing music or already are, you should have a MacBook Pro or an iMac running Ableton Live. (IMHO) (UNTIL BITWIG IS RELEASED!)

With Ableton Live, there is only a small selection of VST Instruments that you should need to use. These include:
    • NI Massive
    • DCAM Synth Squad
    • NI Battery 3

These 3 instruments, along with all of Ableton's FX and Instruments are all you need for an unlimited amount of awesome productions.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Thx but I'll keep my set of different plugins

Tech Mentor

What do you use, I am open to suggestions.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Mainly Sylenth, ABL2, MiniMonsta and Kontakt. Added Maschine 2 days ago to the list.

Tech Mentor

Nice, I recently just put a thread in the Buy/Sell trying to look for a used Maschine in Australia. No hits yet though. I don't mind Kontakt after using it for about a week, but I haven't used MiniMonsta or ABL2. I really don't like Sylenth though.

What DAW do you use and what do you run it on?

Im interested in your opinion, that, everyone who are producing music should use Ableton/Mac combination, why is that? Have you yourself experimented on other setups?

Im using Pc/FLStudio combination, been using it for two years now, and love it, ofcourse there are some problems, but hey, just like in any good relationship(if you love eachother) you work the problems out, together.

I have many times tested Mac/Ableton because many of my friends use it, but i have never, ever, felt it would be in someway better than FLStudio, only different.
    I have invested already two years in Fruity, so if i for some reason would switch to mac/ableton, i would have to invest, if not the same amount, still some time to get to know the program(even just using a Mac is hard for me because im so familiar with pc´s).

So not to say that fruitty would be better on nothing, but, it has been a trust worthy companion, and the way you put your words on the opening post got me thinking.

:`)

EDIT: and oh, im using mainly 1 VST on all of my productions, Rob Papen´s Predator. its a quite powerfull synth :`)
    Last edited by SethLex; 06-28-2012 at 02:23 AM.
    ...ATOMIABSORPTIOSPEKTROFOTOMETRI...
    http://soundcloud.com/sethlex

Tech Mentor

Nice question.

I have experimented with many different DAW's, mostly on PC. I started with FL Studio 9 and used that while I was learning and didn't really even know to much about other DAW's.

At the time I had heard a lot about Ableton and I decided to try it out, but it comparison to FL Studio, it was to difficult for me to use at the time. I have also tried Cubase and absolutely hated it.

As soon as I bought a Mac I started using Logic Pro 9 and absolutely loved it, but as I also love to DJ and perform live, I decided I would try Ableton again, and after learning about music production for a while it got easier to use and now I live and swear by it.

Ableton Live is just so intuitive and so well rounded. It comes with tonnes of FX and instruments which mean you don't have to go around looking for things such as EQ's and Bitcrushers. They're all included with Ableton Live Suite.

Although on the more expensive side of DAW's I would definitely consider you try it on PC. They have a 30 Day Free Trial for both Mac and PC.

I also recommend you get a Mac. The reason for this is that MacBook's and iMac's are so much easier to use for production, and all of the parts and software are made by the same company meaning that you will never cross a problem. They are also immune to virus's and have anti-theft software so you are able to locate your computer meaning you will never lose any of your projects.

Well, that was a nice reply i must admit.

I think the biggest deal for me would be the OS of Mac´s, its like an alien lifeform for someone comming from pc. Atleast for me.
    But yes, i must admit also that i have been thinking about getting a Mac, for the reasons you described above.

I think it would not harm me(or anybody) in no sense having both PC and MAC. they dont need to limit eachother. On the opposite, it would be only good to master them both.

The only thing stopping me is the harsh fact that im a student and thou i do work all the money is going to food and such..

..but someday...

btw, totally agree with you on the case of cubase. it was horrific.
    ...ATOMIABSORPTIOSPEKTROFOTOMETRI...
    http://soundcloud.com/sethlex

Quote Originally Posted by FILTHZ View Post
    [Macs] are also immune to virus's and have anti-theft software so you are able to locate your computer meaning you will never lose any of your projects.
    I'm a mac fanboy, and that's complete bullshit. Cleaned some viruses of my MBP the other day. Apple even took that claim off their marketing materials. Honestly, I'd be more worried about viruses for iOS…there are a lot of holes in that system, and it's getting so incredibly popular that it's going to get targeted soon if it already isn't……and to my knowledge, there aren't any anit-malware tools available for it (at least, not through the app store). Just imagine a bot net of a few million iPhones with >99% of users not knowing it's possible. Scary.

As far as losing stuff…shit happens. If you're relying on a computer that much, you need multiple, reliable backups and insurance. Period. Good product design does not make up for user incompetence or a failure to plan.

Quote Originally Posted by SethLex View Post
    Well, thatI think the biggest deal for me would be the OS of Mac´s, its like an alien lifeform for someone comming from pc. Atleast for me.
    Yep.

I feel the same way about Windows, and I don't understand how anyone gets anything done on them. Whatever, OS X gets out of my way better than Windows ever could. That's why they both exist.

Quote Originally Posted by SethLex View Post
    btw, totally agree with you on the case of cubase. it was horrific.
    Agreed. It looks like a cylon control panel and makes you jump through more hoops than Ableton……but I'm weird. The Avid kool aid was next to the Apple kool aid, and it tasted almost as good. Mac + Pro Tools (and Maschine) FTW.

(I'm a weird electronic musician)

Tech Mentor

No offence, but I think Pro Tools is more of a DAW for Artists that use Analog Instruments such as Guitars, Pianos, Drums, etc. It may look better than Ableton, but I bet if you ask any EDM artist, they will say Ableton Live is their go to DAW.

On your comment about virus's on Mac's, it was only just found 2 days ago that Apple removed the statement, "Mac's don't get PC Virus's!" and although there may be virus's out for Mac at the moment, you can bet that when OSX Mountain Lion is out, Apple will have patched it as Apple are always looking and fixing potential exploits and consistently release updates and patches... Something Windows doesn't do.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast