What's the secret to infinite knobs or "continuous encoders"? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Awesome - thanks guys - this does help. Busy weekend though, gonna have to wait till next week to start toying around. I'll keep you posted with the results.
    Thanks again!

Tech Convert

So in Traktor I have the option to pick either Knob or Rotary when I assign the encoders. I'm assuming Rotary would be the same as an endless encoder (since when I say its a knob it doesn't even effect the value of the EQ or FX), thus I have it on Knob. But when it's assigned as a knob I am unable to adjust sensitivity and acceleration - is this because Traktor is reading it as a non-continuous knob, so sensitivity and acceleration adjustment isn't necessary?

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by misterhops View Post
    ...But when it's assigned as a knob I am unable to adjust sensitivity and acceleration - is this because Traktor is reading it as a non-continuous knob, so sensitivity and acceleration adjustment isn't necessary?
    Yes. That is correct.

Also, if you have it set to "Encoder", make sure you are using the appropriate mode. In Traktor, you can select either 7Fh/01h or 3Fh/41h. If the value is jumping erratically, you may have the wrong mode selected.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

btw, what controller are you mapping?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

But when it's assigned as a knob I am unable to adjust sensitivity and acceleration - is this because Traktor is reading it as a non-continuous knob
    Pretty much - yes.

An endless Knob is just that, a knob with a 360 degrees in a static hand-twist motion, while an encoder allows you the same function as a Jogwheel - with acceleration and sensitivity. In Traktor while you can select a knob to be an encoder it does not work properly, however in knob mode it should be fine for EQ's. Track selection, scrolling or bending however is really a no-no without sensitivity you have no control over speed.

By the sounds of it the Axiom uses endless knobs rather than encoders so changing mode within traktor won't make a difference - it had me miffed on the APC40 why nothing was working the way I wanted till I discovered there is actually only one encoder on board and 16 knobs (and its the cue level of all things!) which kinda pissed me off.

Tech Convert

@ DirtyKnob - It's an Axiom 25. And the only time I can select either of those settings is when the encoders are assigned as Rotaries (in which case they don't even effect the EQ and FX values) so I'm forced to use it as an "Analog Fader / Knob".

@ Deevey - Yeah, the endless encoders do work as knobs for my EQ and FX, but occasionally their behavior is erratic. It forces you to keep a close eye on the values on both the controller and Traktor to make sure the numbers (or position of the knob) is where you want it. Annoying, but it looks like there's nothing I can do about it. Unless someone makes a cheap controller I can get that has only non-endless encoders I can use for EQ and FX.

Yeah, the endless encoders do work as knobs for my EQ and FX
    Sorry I mean the other way round - endless encoders should work fine as knobs, just not the other way round - behringer's new controller/midi mixer looks like it might be perfect for you at appx $150 ? - there rings on the encoders so no need to watch the screen so closely.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

or a UC33, certainly not the prettiest but a workhorse for sure.

Tech Convert

Yeah the UC-33 would be nice. It's discontinued though - maybe I can find a good price for it on eBay.
    @ deevey - do you mean thus guy:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...4usb-usb-mixer

Oh gods no .. I mean the new CMD line MM1 soon to be released (oct I think) which might be worth a look click here for the article

Also the Existing Behringer BCR2000 can be gotten dirt cheap too for 32 endless rotary encoders that works beautifully with Traktor (or anything else).- the only downside is its a lil bulky, but good enough for daft punk to perform live with touring.

I recently sold one for around $70 (was gathering dust since I got an APC)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast