more effects with traktor/vci-100??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default questions about traktor/vci-100? [help plz]

hey ..

i recently got a vci-100 and traktor! I'm just now learning the fundamentals of dj'ing so I have a couple questions...

1. how exactly do the effect buttons/knobs work?? I see two effect buttons in the middle and two more on the top right.. what exactly are the differences??

2. is there a way to add more effects into traktor??

3. How would you configure some of the buttons on the vci-100 to use as pads which you can assign a sound?? How difficult would this be, and would it be easy to do with traktor?

Thanks, I hope someone can help me out with these questions because it's kind of hindering my ability to go farther with my controller
    Last edited by Inspired2Mix; 07-07-2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: more questions

bump

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Alright. The two effect buttons in the middle are to show you the toggle of the channel effects being on. I don't know what other two you're talking about, but I'm not in front of Traktor right now. The knobs control the parameters of the effects. These are different depending on the effect, but the first knob is always amount. It is your wet/dry. Closer it gets to 100% the more of the signal is effected. Remember you have an effect per deck AND an effect on your master out.

no, you can't add more effects into traktor.

Your best bet for this is to have sounds loaded to put into different decks. For example, you have a sample loaded into Deck C, and a hotkey set so every time you hit "V" it plays Deck C. Beyond that there isn't much you can do. You can try using MIDI-Yoke to re-route the VCI-100 controls so that MIDI-Yoke 2 is being received by a DAW to set off those sounds. If you want to get into using Bomes this can be done rather easily, but I would not recommend it until you have a really solid grasp of how these systems work.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by Inspired2Mix View Post
    2. is there a way to add more effects into traktor??
    Sorry, no. We all want this feature, and maybe a future version of Traktor will allow us to add VST plugins to the system, but until then we're all in the same boat... apart from Bento-san who pipes the output of Traktor into his copy of Ableton Live to add further effects, but then he's a weirdo who likes pushing the envelope. That's the current state of the art.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspired2Mix View Post
    3. How would you configure some of the buttons on the vci-100 to use as pads which you can assign a sound?? How difficult would this be, and would it be easy to do with traktor?
    Traktor only produces sound from it's four decks. So if you can load a sound onto a deck you can play it. If you put all the sounds you want into a single MP3, load that into a deck and place cue points at the beginning of each noise, you can map MIDI keys to play each one if the six cue points (only 6 per track in Traktor 3) and get the effect you are looking for. Think of it as making you own "battle" track.

thanks for the quick reply..

the other two effect buttons I'm talking about are the one below "effect parameter" and the effect button next to the master level knob.

So basically.. I can't make the little black buttons on the left into a little 4 pad trigger finger?? I think I saw ean do it on one of his videos

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    Traktor only produces sound from it's four decks. So if you can load a sound onto a deck you can play it. If you put all the sounds you want into a single MP3, load that into a deck and place cue points at the beginning of each noise, you can map MIDI keys to play each one if the six cue points (only 6 per track in Traktor 3) and get the effect you are looking for. Think of it as making you own "battle" track.
    that's what I was thinking about doing.. but how do you create more than 1 cue point and juggle between said cue points?? Like.. as far as I've learned (i'm quite a beginner) I can only set 1 cue point.

1 I'll try to do a video tommorow afternoon.

2. No hopefully with traktor4 VST compatibility will be added .

3. Do you mean like a sample ? if so I use decks 3 and 4 to drop samples such as a drum loop or fog horns or movie samples or what ever the hell I want .

As far as the effects hindering your ability to go further with the VCI-100 in my oppinion that should be the last djing fundamental you should be worried about . Work on the actual mixing and programing of a set . Once you master those 2 fundamentals of djing the effects and eqing will naturally come to you .

I'm really trying to think back to when I first started DJing and think about what the people who got me started showed me and said to me when I first started that put me in the right direction and have the ability to be taken seriously as a DJ and eventualy be where I'm at now which is Djing for a living . Just remember as boring as it may seem to learn these basic skills once you do learn them you'll have a much greatter understanding on how to effect people with a great song rather than a mediocre song and a great effect .

Quote Originally Posted by darrel855 View Post
    1 I'll try to do a video tommorow afternoon.

2. No hopefully with traktor4 VST compatibility will be added .

3. Do you mean like a sample ? if so I use decks 3 and 4 to drop samples such as a drum loop or fog horns or movie samples or what ever the hell I want .

As far as the effects hindering your ability to go further with the VCI-100 in my oppinion that should be the last djing fundamental you should be worried about . Work on the actual mixing and programing of a set . Once you master those 2 fundamentals of djing the effects and eqing will naturally come to you .

I'm really trying to think back to when I first started DJing and think about what the people who got me started showed me and said to me when I first started that put me in the right direction and have the ability to be taken seriously as a DJ and eventualy be where I'm at now which is Djing for a living . Just remember as boring as it may seem to learn these basic skills once you do learn them you'll have a much greatter understanding on how to effect people with a great song rather than a mediocre song and a great effect .
    A video would be amazing!! I'm not trying to really use these effects much as I don't really care for them, right now. But I am just trying to figure out exactly how to work and mix with my vci-100.

And the concept of using 3-4 decks makes sense.. but how do I control them with my controller?? I'm trying to avoid using the mouse as much as possible

You can set up another Traktor page for control on the third and fourth deck.
    Then all you need to do it set a button on each page that will swap between the two pages.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    You can set up another Traktor page for control on the third and fourth deck.
    Then all you need to do it set a button on each page that will swap between the two pages.
    Thanks for the answer Bento, but how do I go about doing this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast