Speaker hookup question.....

Default Speaker hookup question.....

So i have a pair of JBL Eon 515xt's and my friend just built a Bill Fitzmaurice Tuba.. We are going to be using them for a house boat party this weekend..

How would I connect this to my DB4 without getting the high/mid frequencys playing through the sub? Sorry for the dumb question but I have never had more then a few PA speakers and being as the DB4 doesnt have a sub out, and im not the smartest, how would i go about running this?
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

what amp are you powering the Tuba with?

Tech Guru

You need a crossover of some kind to split the "full range" signal from the mixer to the tops (the 515's) and the sub (the tuba). There is no way round this basic requirement.

For testing purposes, the sub will effectively filter our any high frequency content because of the folds in the horn path. This is NOT a substitute for a proper crossover.

At this point in technology, a dedicated crossover is hard to recommend. The digital PA managers offer a TON of functionality for only a few $$$ more than an analog crossover. Look at the Driverack DRPA or the Behringer DCX2496 to start. Both are built solid, good value for money, and will more than do the job. I have used both, and both are worth recommending. In the end, I think the DCX2496 wins because it is more flexible and a little easier to use.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    You need a crossover of some kind to split the "full range" signal from the mixer to the tops (the 515's) and the sub (the tuba). There is no way round this basic requirement.

For testing purposes, the sub will effectively filter our any high frequency content because of the folds in the horn path. This is NOT a substitute for a proper crossover.

At this point in technology, a dedicated crossover is hard to recommend. The digital PA managers offer a TON of functionality for only a few $$$ more than an analog crossover. Look at the Driverack DRPA or the Behringer DCX2496 to start. Both are built solid, good value for money, and will more than do the job. I have used both, and both are worth recommending. In the end, I think the DCX2496 wins because it is more flexible and a little easier to use.

Thank you!
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post

You don't NEED a X-OVER. He's not playing an audiophile summit. You can run full range to the tops and the sub amp either has a built-in low-pass filter or you can buy a passive choke like this:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=266-558

>

These tops are fed a full range signal. Then the parallel connection feeds the full range signal to the sub which has a crossover in the amp: http://www.andertons.co.uk/Products/...450srm1801.jpg

>