My face when the experienced DJ's levels are in the RED - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    Thank the bar owner who made the decision against all recommendations that a simple stereo two way cross-over was "good enough". As far as baby sitting a rig that's not mine, I don't much care, he blew up his VZ3600 and called to rent our 5000. I just happened to stick around for a few beers and got treated to some pyrotechnics
    Whatever the situation, the SE wasn't doing his job.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Whatever the situation, the SE wasn't doing his job.
    The SE was the DJ :|

Quote Originally Posted by rgtb View Post
    but i've yet to see the technology that makes 100% sure that a DJ mixer never clips.
    Pretty sure there's something called a volume knob that will do the trick.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Pretty sure there's something called a volume knob that will do the trick.
    This.

If you're in a club and you have to be in full red clipping to be heard then there is something seriously wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Close, but still no picture.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor
    Last edited by tekki; 07-04-2012 at 05:40 AM.

That hoody is so full of win!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Tone it down peeps.
    Exactly! Keep it out of the reds!
    17" MBP:2.66Ghz i7 8Gb| Traktor Pro 2|Live 8 Suite
    Novation Twitch & LaunchPad|M-Audio Oxygen 25
    Presonus FireStudio Mobile|Shure 315's|Yamaha HS50M's
    "“beatmatching” isnt even a fucking skill as far as im concered anyway. so what, you can count to 4. cool. i had that skill down when i was 3."-deadmau5

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rgtb View Post
    i find this highly inappropriate. you still didn't explain which of my statements were false. instead, you keep attacking me in an impertinent, unobjective tone.
    I don't know how many different ways I can explain it. System DSP is not some infallible device that will prevent any type of failure, your assertions as such are wrong and such information should not be represented as true to people who may be less than experienced at configuring a club/concert audio system.

FACT: Exceeding the RMS power handling of a system can and eventually will cause damage.

The only way to prevent this from happening is to over spec your audio system and then use DSP limiting (preferably per pass band as previously stated) to keep operated levels within that safe limit.

I'm sorry if you feel attacked, but quite frankly you don't seem to understand the fundamentals of setting up an audio system, and your false assertions should not be represented as facts.
    Last edited by rotebass; 07-04-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Two things.

1) As for the DJM 900 anyway (not sure if this applies to the 800 etc.) I read a post by one of the tech guys over on the Pio forums a while back stating that the ideal spot to run your channels and master is around +4 db. I'm not a sound engineer by any means, nor do I pretend to be an expert in the area, but to my ears +4 does sound like a pretty solid sweet spot in practice.

2) Aside from carelessness the reason even experienced DJs run into the red, I would imagine, is because of the progression of the night. If you walk up to a mixer as the DJ before you is finishing and he already has every channel and the master pushed into the red... What do you do? Do you cut 4-6db across the board and let the energy fade out? Or do you talk to the sound engineer (assuming the venue actually has one on-site; not every venue does, to say the least) and try to coordinate volume adjustment right as you start your set? Just because you know it's a bad idea to run your levels into the red doesn't mean the guy before you knows that (or cares). What do you do when your set's falling flat? Just pump the volume! Right? RIGHT?

Aside from that - even venues with a sound engineer have probably learned something along the way; unfortunately, too many (most?) DJs run their levels into the red. Thus if the SE sets the system to sound best with the mixer running at +4db, he's going to have some serious issues with the mixer running at +10. Better to play it on the safe side and set the gain-staging to be acceptable when the mixer's running at +10 to avoid the worst-case scenario, but then that leaves the DJ running the system at +4 sounding quiet/low energy. I don't think it's quite so cut and dry as just red being a pretty color or DJs being morons... at least not all the time

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast