Electronic Music Genre Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Electronic Music Genre Guide

I'm assuming this is the place for a topic such as this, but I apologise in advance if I am mistaken and beg forgiveness from the almighty mods and only ask that they move it to the correct section

Now with that out of the way, I can continue on to the main content: music genres. We all have at least a vague idea of what music goes into what category (at least I hope for your audience's sake), but then there come the gazillion sub and sub-sub-sub genres that throw most people off, or is that just me?

Well I found this pretty comprehensive electronic music genre guide that not only goes into the history of how electronic music came to be, shows the development and progression of the genres and let's you listen to samples of the selected sub-genre.
    It's much simpler if shut up, give the link and let the guide do the showing

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/music.swf

P.S. Do not let this guide be an inflexible golden handbook of music categorisation, using your own knowledge is also key. But this helps out quite a bit at first.

I love that list, it's a great starting point, despite them being completely wrong about Epic House - they went for Pop tunes rather than the 15-minute mixes coming from Blue Amazon, Way out West or Force Mass Motion.

Tech Mentor

Well there goes several hours that I'm never going to get back. Thank you. I feel informed and entertained at the same time.

Really is a neat thing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by alex.ketch View Post
    I'm assuming this is the place for a topic such as this, but I apologise in advance if I am mistaken and beg forgiveness from the almighty mods and only ask that they move it to the correct section
    lol!!! more! love this kinda stuff, nice change from the 'my vci don't work' posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Ishkur's guide is nice; it taught me a lot when I was first really getting into electronic dance music, and I still refer to it occasionally. It has its limits, though: mainly, it's a few years old, so it has gaps. For instance, it doesn't have anything to say about electro house, which is one of the most popular genres of EDM (or subgenres of house, if you prefer) today.
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer
    SoundCloud | Twitter | Website

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpress View Post
    Kill all genres!
    Thats our job as controllerists, mash them together until theres no such thing anymore

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Wow i expected that to be dog shit, so when it loaded i thought "yeah this dog shit" but its actually really good.
    A bit American in perspective but pretty good all the same despite the fact there seems to be a Dirty South version of every kind of music hahaha

BIGBEAT - i dont remember anyone sniffing Leather Polish !!!

brighton pier massive
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Viva la Ishkur!

Love that guide, especially the "NOT Trance" portion lmfao!!!

edit....apparently he removed it in version 2.5 but it was a typical giant, over the top, Tiestoish DJ worship synth plateau.....looped...
    Last edited by rvltion909; 06-02-2009 at 11:16 PM.
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast