How do you guys feel about GIVING AWAY TRACKS?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How do you guys feel about GIVING AWAY TRACKS?

Do you guys care if other local underground DJs in the club scene get tracks from YOUR tracklists?

Do you give away tracks freely and don't care sharing even your most unique, favourite tracks?

Yeah why not?

I know guys that hang onto them like they created them themselves and I think that's a little lame. Some people think because they "discovered" a song, that they have some god given right to them.

Although I think giving someone the music you bought is illegal.

Doesn't bother me one bit. It's more important how you play them then what you play.

i find it off-putting when someone won't tell me a track name or give me a list of tracks with their sets. there have been a couple people on here adamant on not giving out tracks names and i won't even bother to listen to anything they do at that point.

the whole reason i became a dj was to spread the word of artists i liked that were busting their asses to make tracks not many people have heard of. why would i want to keep that to myself? i always share that stuff so the artist can get some extra fans, exposure, and money...that is if anyone bothers to listen to my mixes lol. i love that feeling when you're playing a track and someone's face lights up as they ask you what it is. i can't imagine denying someone something so simple because they cultivated their sound over an eternity and they don't want other people to steal their style of sounds that they didn't write blah, blah blah and so on.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

I'll always give somebody a track or artist name if they ask but I don't, generally, give out track listings with my sets. If you don't want to listen, it's your loss. I think it takes out half the fun and work by just freely giving away the tracks you've spent time looking for. Today's music and scene is too disposable, if you ask me.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    I'll always give somebody a track or artist name if they ask but I don't, generally, give out track listings with my sets. If you don't want to listen, it's your loss. I think it takes out half the fun and work by just freely giving away the tracks you've spent time looking for. Today's music and scene is too disposable, if you ask me.
    at least you will give out a specific track if someone asks, but some won't even do that. i guess it could be my loss if i don't listen for that reason, but it's also the dj's loss and the artist's loss as well...mostly the artist since i have ran into a couple of djs who were actively trying to keep me from purchasing songs in their sets. i just think it's respectful to the artist to give credit where credit is due, especially if someone takes the time to specifically ask about a tune.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

I am all for open sharing of track listings. In the sub-genre I mainly play, you will likely not be playing anything I don't know, if you do drop something I haven't heard and I like, I would love to be able to explore that label or artist. If you have an unreleased track, be real nice to support the artist in the future when I can buy the song, even though you got it thru the cool kids club. In genres that I'm less familiar, I might well purchase a new track that is outside my normal buying pattern, I may never play it in a set, but it might get a hit on the iPod now and then. If I pulled a SoundCloud track, I would like you to know, go visit and play and download too, it is by far more respect than buying in that community, leave them a comment to make their day while you are at it.

How the hell else are you supposed to decide if you WANT to listen to a mix??? If Dj BAzil Brush posts up a mix, saying "please listen and provide feedback" why should I? What incentive is there for me to listen?

Now - if a tracklist has some tunes that i like, or tunes that I like the sound of, THEN I'm likely to give it a listen.

I fear the "non-sharing" attitude is a cross over from what people have heard about real funk/breaks DJ's - who had to dig (and I mean properly dig - picture the cover of DJ Shadow's Endtroducing poster) through THOUSANDS of dusty old records just to find a 4 bar break at some point on that plate! Those guys EARNED those breaks, and protected them fiercly.

Protecting a tune that you've just downloaded from Beatport, or from a blog, or is on a Top 10 chart is just childish.

8f07f021-large.jpg
    Last edited by Patch; 07-04-2012 at 06:32 AM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Most of the tracks i play in vinyl sets are white labels never been released, some i dont even know the name of, or never been made into an mp3
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

I mean, lets say you give a local DJ a tracklist and he rips it off and calls it his own. Still A-OK?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast