When DJs use In-Ears!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default When DJs use In-Ears!

Hey DJTT'ers...

I wanted to share this new product with you guys. Ideal for DJs using In-Ears, to lower the risk of sudden acoustic shocks. (eg. when changing CUE between tracks -- kabooooom -- 2 days of ringing ears! )

www.PreservEar.com

so... $160 external cue gain?

lol

Tech Mentor

Don't you just adjust your gain before you hit the cue button? It's free and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by audiolive View Post
    Don't you just adjust your gain before you hit the cue button? It's free and easy.
    /endthread. Good work man haha!
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Do any of the people that replied use in ears?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Why is this any different from DJ'ing with headphones. When you're changing cue you'll probably have your headphones on. Just make sure your levels are the same for both tracks before you swap cues.

And yes, I'm using in-ears when DJ'ing...
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

I use shure se535's when DJing... this product is way overpriced for what it does. One does not even need an attenuator if you watch your levels and aren't a dumbass. However, before shelling out 160$+ on this, why not just get a small attenuator adapter for 15$ bux LOL.

Tech Wizard

I would suggest anybody using In-Ears to use an attenuator, absolutely. If that's all you need, no need to buy this unit. But if you want to ensure that the volume in you IEMs never pass a certain threshold, an attenuator wont help you.

So why use a limiter? For several reasons. Obviously it protects your hearing, by ensuring that you never have accidents with "cue blowouts". Surely the "auto-gain" on Traktor is a great help, but not everybody uses Traktor. Additionally, not everybody remembers to check the gain before hitting play on every single track.

Secondly, if you use In-Ears that are custom built, eg. Ultimate Ears 18 Pro (I use those) $160 is not a major investment for a unit that protects your In-Ears from blowing out the drivers. I think a lot of DJs would agree to have plugged in their headphones into a mixer, laptop or other high powered output while accidentally having the volume up higher then expected. Another typical accident occurs when you take over from another DJ (who is using headphones which requires high output volumes) - you plug in you In-Ears and booom, either blow out your drivers or your ears. Shit happens. That's what this problem was invented for.

Lastly, If you are a professional DJ, I believe that it's worth the price. Having Tinnitus (for more the 15 years now) I can assure you that this unit gives me a peace of mind - assuring that I will never hurt my ears using In-Ears. It protects your most valuable asset, which is your hearing!
    Last edited by djpetermunch; 07-03-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Quotes didn't load up.

If you use a headphone attenuator, how can you check your levels? So you may preserve your own hearing while blowing out the hearing of everyone on the dancefloor?

In order for proper gain-staging don't you need to hear everything accurately as the people in front of the speakers do?

???

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    If you use a headphone attenuator, how can you check your levels? So you may preserve your own hearing while blowing out the hearing of everyone on the dancefloor?
    You don't need to push the volume as hard with in ears, using an attenuator in a proper way would give you the same level as regular cans with the cue volume knob in the same position in the mixer. Sure you can always turn that down.

I think this device isn't really useful to DJs. Things change if you are a sound guy or musician where you could get some feedback in or a nasty pop if someone unplugs a cable while the channel fader is up. If it will make you sleep better at night buy it. Is it a MUST have purchase? No.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast