Tweeters are dead?

Default Tweeters are dead?

Ok, so basically i bought some speakers about a year ago... (cheap passive boxes) and the woofers died within 2 weeks. I got them replaced with some decent woofers and haven't had a problem since. Although, the other day i got close to one of the speakers and noticed that the horn tweeters weren't actually making any noise. I didn't notice before that, although i know that they definitely used to work because when the woofers died, the tweeters still made noise. Anyway. To my question: Considering i didn't even notice the difference (Now that i think about it, the response probably isn't as sparkly as used to be) but yeah. Is it worth replacing them? Would it be easy enough to replace them?

I don't really know much about tweeters at all.. So any and all information is helpful.

(I do Mobile work)

Cheers,
    Sparkbro
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Tech Mentor

What brand and model are they?

Pretty sure this is them:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PA-SPEAKE...item4167aa1b30

*dont judge :P
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.

Tech Mentor

I was originally going to suggest fixing them, but THB I'm not so sure it would even be worth investing any money into them. On top of buying the cabs, you've already spent additional funds to replace the woofers, it might be time to bite the bullet and upgrade.

I'm thinking of just leaving it. Might fix them later.. I've probably lost quite a bit of volume out of not having them though. But as i said, i didn't even notice that they had stopped working.

What part of a tweeter actually blows, or would it be worth just buying two new tweeters?
    I just can't really justify buying completely new speakers.

Is it easy to pull the horns out? They might have a horn driver that screws into the back of the actual horn .

Depending on the driver they are sometimes cheap. Like this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=270-069

or this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=270-082

>

I've never really looked. I'll have a check tomorrow though. I think they are just screwed into the box so it should be too hard.

Is there a way to find out if it is blown (Like on woofer drivers how you push them in and out and they make a crunchy kinda noise)
    ... Because i do believe that there are two parts to the horns. I'm still not too sure though

Tech Mentor

Don't waste your money on the Goldwoods imo. Some of the Selenium drivers that parts express sells are pretty decent, if they will fit. You need to pull the horns out and see what the situation is: bolt-on or screw-on? size of the throat opening? etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    Don't waste your money on the Goldwoods imo. Some of the Selenium drivers that parts express sells are pretty decent, if they will fit. You need to pull the horns out and see what the situation is: bolt-on or screw-on? size of the throat opening? etc. etc.
    I agree with you, but I felt the OP was looking for a low budget solution. These are speakers $250 a pair. The Seleniums would sound better, but really won't improve the sound level output. Not really sure of his application, but he did mention he lost some sound output. Seems he just wants decibels.

>

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    I agree with you, but I felt the OP was looking for a low budget solution. These are speakers $250 a pair. The Seleniums would sound better, but really won't improve the sound level output. Not really sure of his application, but he did mention he lost some sound output. Seems he just wants decibels.

>
    True enough. In that case he should stick some $8 piezos in them and run them into the ground, or until he can afford something nicer