Akai MPK61 Help with ableton?
    Tech Mentor

Default Akai MPK61 Help with ableton?

For some reason, everytime i plug my mpk61 in, then start my ableton

as i open a project that im working on, throughout the time being, it will start by itself and do weird things...mostly the music just starts by itself and i have to KEEP hitting stop...

but when i unhook the mp61, it doesnt do that... so obviously the MPK is doing something wrong... or maybe me? any help please?

here is a picture of my midi preferences in ableton live:

My advice would be to grab a free midi monitor and see what midi notes its sending, then find out what they correspond to on the MPK and start there.
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by m00n View Post
    My advice would be to grab a free midi monitor and see what midi notes its sending, then find out what they correspond to on the MPK and start there.
    im not actually sure how to do that... do you think this could be defective or something?

Read up on midiox and find out what that rouge CC is popping up. Then download your manual from http://www.akaipro.com/mpk61 in the Downloads & Docs section and search for what control that midi Value is coming from and start from there...

http://www.midiox.com/
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

First of all, I’d set your MIDI preferences in Ableton to ‘Track’ and ‘Sync’ with the outputs too. I do it as a standard practise but it might be something as simple as Ableton not being albe to send messages back to your MPK to tell it that it’s completed an action.

If that doesn’t work, I’d change the preset on the MPK (Preset button -> move ‘Push-to-enter’ encoder -> push ‘Push-to-enter’ encoder) to see if that it’s your preset that’s causing the error.

My next step would be to carry out a master rest from the MPK itself (Preset Button -> push the ‘>’ button 10 times until ‘FACTORY’ is displayed -> push ‘Push-to-enter’ encoder) and try again to see if the error is solved.

Failing all of that, if you got the Vyzex Editor with your MPK (I think it can be downloaded from the Akai Pro website if not) then use it to perform a full restore of all the presets and banks of your MPK.

Other basics could be trying a different USB port or a different cable… you never know!

Hope this helps.
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Lineypirate View Post
    First of all, I’d set your MIDI preferences in Ableton to ‘Track’ and ‘Sync’ with the outputs too. I do it as a standard practise but it might be something as simple as Ableton not being albe to send messages back to your MPK to tell it that it’s completed an action.

If that doesn’t work, I’d change the preset on the MPK (Preset button -> move ‘Push-to-enter’ encoder -> push ‘Push-to-enter’ encoder) to see if that it’s your preset that’s causing the error.

My next step would be to carry out a master rest from the MPK itself (Preset Button -> push the ‘>’ button 10 times until ‘FACTORY’ is displayed -> push ‘Push-to-enter’ encoder) and try again to see if the error is solved.

Failing all of that, if you got the Vyzex Editor with your MPK (I think it can be downloaded from the Akai Pro website if not) then use it to perform a full restore of all the presets and banks of your MPK.

Other basics could be trying a different USB port or a different cable… you never know!

Hope this helps.

i tried to do all of that, and i even downloaded the vyzex program and for some reason, i dont think i fully restored it

all i did was go to file>new> and i didnt save anything cause there is nothing to save lol

and like i said i dont think i did it right or fully restored it... but it still is messing up... the "full level" light and the arp light keep blinking on and off and it wont allow me to turn them off when i click the buttons and sometime in ableton it plays and stop and plays and stops automatically :'(

Tech Mentor

ok i FIXED THE PROBLEM! so basically all i had to do was erase the firmware and install the new firmware, and now everything works completely fine! =D yeay! thanks again everyone for the help!