Ableton audio into Traktor ?! (Remix Deck Loop hole)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Lightbulb Ableton audio into Traktor ?! (Remix Deck Loop hole)

I know that you can route audio from traktor into ableton but I've been wondering if you can reverse that and route ableton audio into traktor. This all started with that stupid lock on the new remix decks; since I wasn't able to find a hack for mac users, i had to find another way. My solution was to use ableton like the remix deck with my MPD26 and route the audio into Traktor. I've done all the mappings for ableton and it works great. However, my only problem is I can't seem to figure out how to route the audio into traktor. I've tried reverse engineering the Jackrouter approach to route it to traktor but i can't seem to make it work since traktor doesn't have separate output and input device selection.

I'm gonna continue looking for a solution, but i figured if i post this on djtt the extra brain power would be enough to crack this one.

If this works then you can basically use any midi controller and emulate that damn remix deck.

Tech Mentor

OK so far this is one solution: in ableton select your traktor s2 or s4 driver or what ever audio interface you use and you should hear ableton's audio that way. I want to take it a step further and try be able to use traktors effects on the ableton audio.

I'll keep you updated

Tech Wizard
    Atom3D Sequencer for Midifighter and NI Traktor Kontrol F1:
    Atom3D

Facbook Page:
    Opaque

I’ve just had a play around with this and it can definitely be done. The tricky parts are routing your audio correctly (and getting your head round how your interface works) and then syncing up Ableton and Traktor.

- I used my Audio 8 and routed (by the ‘Audio To’ drop down) the Ableton audio out to outputs 5/6.
    - On my Audio 8, I patched a cable in from OUT 5/6 to IN 5/6.
    - In Traktor’s Preferences, under the ‘Input Routing’ tab, select on the deck you want to be a Remix Deck to Input 5/6.(It doesn’t matter where you route your IN cable to, as long as you select the right IN in Traktor’s preferences).

Now you should have your audio into Traktor. You can still apply FX to these but it won’t be matched up (Beatmasher and other tempo FX will be out of time). I have a DDM4k 4 channel mixer so I send a different output to the IN to my mixer to get my EQ, Gain, X-fader e.t.c…. and it lets me record my mix via the second mixer output.

As for syncing it up for FX:

- You need to first enable Traktor to send MIDI clock in the ‘MIDI’ section of the Preferences
    - In Controller Manager create a new MIDI device with it’s inputs and outputs set to ‘Traktor Virtual Input’ and 'Traktor Virtual Output’ respectively.
    -In Ableton, open your Preferences and under the ‘MIDI’ tab, you should see the 'Traktor Virtual In/Outputs’ in the menu below. Enable them to Sync/Remote/Track.
    -Still in Ableton, on the main view, click the EXT table next to your tempo. (If it isn’t there, then Ableton is not ’seeing’ another MIDI clock).
    -Back in Traktor, click the metronome tab underneath the top-left FX tab and click the Play/Pause button. This should start Ableton playing and have the FX in sync.

HOWEVER… I find that setting your global tempo to what ever your playing (e.g. 130bpm) in both programs and mixing it by ear (tempo nudge in Ableton for the win) is easier that messing about with MIDI clock!

Hope this helps!
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

Tech Mentor

Snap!!! that would work! I was so busy trying to find a software solution i totally forgot about physical routing. Awesome idea dude!

So by routing Ableton in Traktor instead of the other way around you have better command i guess of mixing through E.Qing and effects?
    Or is it better to route traktor into ableton?
    https://soundcloud.com/birdsofprey2
    https://twitter.com/MikeOshell

"Ask no questions, you hear no lies" -- Mark Strong

I would recommend Traktor into Ableton, more efx,vst etc.......
    MBP 13' 256 SSD 8Gb RAM. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.8 | MF Classic | NI Audio 2 | NI Audio 10 | CDJ1000MK3 (2) | Technics 1200MKII (4) | A&H Xone 92 (UK) | NI Kontrol F1 | Ipad 4 | Korg Kaoss Pad Mini | Ableton Live Suite.

Tech Mentor

@mraybar: I considered that but I have no mapping knowledge of Ableton, so I gotta stick to traktor while I get me some schoolin' on ableton

Banned

there is no software in the world that's easier to map than Ableton Live. Just press the midi button, click parameter you want mapped, turn knob/fader/button you want it mapped to. No annoying dropdown menus like on Traktor.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by snoemu5a View Post
    there is no software in the world that's easier to map than Ableton Live. Just press the midi button, click parameter you want mapped, turn knob/fader/button you want it mapped to. No annoying dropdown menus like on Traktor.
    Ahem: Torq is actually easier to map with more options, and Ableton's mapping function unfortunatly sucks for anything requiring feedback and many "simple" controls still are not mappable without third party add-ons (quantize and browsing for example).

But for most DJ functions your right - its pretty damn straight forward, getting live set up the way you want on the other hand :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast