Manually mapping my apc20 with ableton
    Tech Student

Default Manually mapping my apc20 with ableton

Hey all. I'm new to this board. I was hoping to get some advice. I run ableton rewired to mainstage, so setting up the Apc as a recognizable controller is not available. So I've been trying to manually map everything in it. I've been running into some strange problems and am not quite sure what to do about it. For instance, I tried to map the play button on the controller to the master play button in ableton. It won't do anything if it's not already playing, but if it is playing it will start it over. I also tried to map stop to the stop button in ableton, it won't do anything.
    Another thing that is really annoying is when I try to map the activator buttons is they work, but I have to press them two times to get it to activate or deactivate the track. Same with the record arm buttons. It throws it off because sometimes the light will be lit up on the controller but it won't actually be armed. Any suggestions? Don't know why this is happening. Thanks.

Maybe the track & remote inputs and outputs not set up properly. I'm also pretty sure that when running Ableton in rewire mode you might also need to have the remote sync on. I'm not familiar with main stage. I have used my Apc-40 in conjunction with Ableton and Reason. I've never experience the kind of conflict you're talking about. Then again I'm using a modified user script with my Apc-40. It could also be that you have mappings already set up in The main stage program. That correspond to a specific Notes or CC# in Ableton so when you hit the play button the mappings in Main stage are clashing with Live. Make sure that you're only mapping in live. Other then that. The best piece of advice, i can offer you. Search the web for a modified python script that will allow you to use the default functionality of the Apc-20 but provides you additional pages that can be mapped to your liking. Keep in mind there are some buttons on the Apc's that you just can't remap. Modified scripts are the way to go and you're not limiting the functionality of the unit when you remap Global or hard coded controls. There is a ton of free mods on the web and a ton of other great stuff that will allow you to do exactly what you're wanting to do and so much more. My Apc-40 has something like 6-7 pages of control 2 of the pages are completely re-mapable for whatever i want, without fear conflict. I hope I'm not hijacking your post. I'm not sure how long you've been using live or had your Apc-20. I just know how frustrating it can be, when all you want to do is make music and the gear is not cooperating. Any ideas are good ideas especially after hours of screwing with something that is not working like you want it to even if the ideas aren't exactly what you're looking for.

Here are some links.

http://willmarshall.me/
    http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/p/apc-64-40.html
    http://www.nativekontrol.com/Home.html
    http://beatwise.proboards.com/index....lay&thread=873

Beat Regards
    Grant
    My Mule = Sony Vaio 2.80/3.50GHz)i7 W/solidstate Drive + 8 Gigs Ram. Win7. The Studio = Custome built tower + Samsung 32" LED walmout monitor Ableton8 Suite+Max,Isotonik,OCTPAD NativeKontrol Apc-CL1, APC-40,Launchpad,Maschine,NanoKontrol2,MPK49,LPD8,MPK Mini,,Reason4,Vestax Pmc25 2CDJ 1000mk2

Tech Student

Hey thanks for the response. So it happens even when Mainstage is closed. I haven't mapped anything on the apc in mainstage. I ended up installing the live lite that came with the controller, because I was running 8.1, so I wanted to see if it would be different. When I opened live lite, it recognized the controller, and everything worked just the way I wanted it to. Then, when I closed lite and opened the 8.1 version, it worked just fine. All of those problems went away. But if I turn off the controller, and then try to use it in 8.1 again, the problems come back. Very bizarre. Anyways, I'm upgrading my Ableton suite to 8.2. I'm hoping this will just solve all of the problems.
    Honestly, I'm pretty new to the world of midi and midi mapping. What is a python script? Or a modified script. I have never heard these terms before. Pretty over my head, although they sound like they may be useful to me.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

The Python scripts in ableton is basically telling controllers how to behave within Ableton by default.. e.g. LED's .. left/right arrow, clip/track send buttons... kinda like a hard-coded midi map.

The reason alot of APC traktor mappings rely on "APC mode" to make things work correctly (like LED's and rotaries) which requires opening Ableton Lite First with the unit on (so it gets its mapping) closing Ableton it and then opening Traktor.

Sounds kinda like what you described as well so you might be missing the APC script in 8.1 for some reason in the Ableton folder... you should be able to copy them from the lite folder or just upgrade (probably easier).
    Last edited by deevey; 07-06-2012 at 08:52 AM.