Android 4.1 Jellybean - Updates to Audio

Default Android 4.1 Jellybean - Updates to Audio

I was reading this article earlier, and it got me a bit excited about the future prospects of DJing on Android based hardware. From what I understand, the biggest hurdle so far is latency within the OS.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/07/wh...id-jelly-bean/

'On the Samsung Galaxy Nexus handset — a device over which Google has more control — they’ve already improved latency from 100ms in “Ice Cream Sandwich” (4.0) to “about 12ms” in “Jelly Bean” (4.1), and want to go oven better.'
    I have no idea how much of an impact it's going to have on devices other than the Nexus, as there is so much hardware segregation in the Android world. I imagine a lot of phones and tablets are still going to be out of the question for DJing due to a lack of processing power.

'Multichannel audio over HDMI'
    Now I'm not completely sure of the logistics of this, whether it would be eventually harnessed for an android based mixer hardware, so that you could run 2+ Stereo channels off one device, unlike IOS where you are restricted to two mono channels for mixing. Whether HDCP is going to be an issue, I have no idea. Somebody else with more experience in the area would have a better idea.

'USB Audio support, exposed through the Android Open Accessory Development Kit'
    I'm not sure if I understood this one correctly, but I think external sound cards? Allowing the development of products like the S4/VCI-400 with built in sound cards and taking away some of the strain from the mobile processors.

I'm a little excited

I'm still waiting for the ICS update on my Galaxy S2 and they already have a new OS coming out?!

That would be your carrier's fault. Samsung released their updated version of ICS for the Galaxy S2 over 5 months ago. Telstra (My phone carrier) in Australia gave me the ICS update months ago.

You could always try a custom firmware?