My Mrs says I should learn how to vent....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Mrs says I should learn how to vent....

Back To The Naughties Part 1…

I feel lost. I feel saddened. Most of all I feel disillusioned about the art of Djing I once placed above everything else around me. House Music is & DJ Set Ups are rapidly changing around me. Over the past five years Dublin Clubbing seems to have imploded, and the house music has had so much cosmetic surgery its hard to find enough of the sounds and rhythms' being played, the sounds that I fell in love with all those years ago are being played by DJs who resemble something from a science fiction movie or TV show, but a shit science fiction movie or TV show, something like that Steo Spielberg thing on FX. Rubbish. Because sets or so programmed thanks to the likes of DJ Software I find modern DJ sets boring.

I wana go back…

I remember when I was a 20 year old superstar doing my Saturday shopping in stores like HMV Henry Street, then hitting up Abbey Discs via Arrnotts sports department before crossing the boarder onto the sophisticated Southside to spent a euro or 50 in Carbon, situated on the prime hot chick viewing platform that was the mezzanine level of Urban Outfitters. Those really were the days in my opion.

I wana go back…

I understand that almost half if not the majority of people that read this bit of script will be thinking im just another 29 hitting 30, two kids and a mortgage, still hanging on to the slick mix that was once his social scene every weekend, with the more than occasional Tuesday. The not old school to him but old school to you type of DJ and I would say you are right, I am all of those things and more. I'm bitter. I'm twisted. I wish the scene as I knew could return and remain. I wish vinyl was everything, I wish there was only good producers making it to the promised land of the label, I wish there was a cartel of downloading sites Traxsource, Beatport & Clickgroove and file sharing was never invented. I wish a DJM 600 and pair of Technics kitted out with some funky "Fuck of I'm Mixing" slipmats and some tidy looking Ortafan Pro Cartridges was all that was required. I wish there was no such thing as USA Dub Step, fuck I wish mainstream USA would just stick to there fucking Rap Rap with there Dr. Snoop Ice Cream's. I wish there was no acts that use the words, Swedish, House or Mafia within there title. I really wish the alter ego know as Deadmau5 was just dead mouse or I wish, I wish, I wish….

But the fact is in ten years time the DJ who is 20 and of the same make up but slightly altered mentality as I am now will feel exactly as I do and communicate there feelings as I have done today, through what ever medium they will have at there disposal how they will wonder how the next wave of electronica acts & software DJs coming through would just give it over, and cop on to themselves…

DJ Depression is a serious Illness, if not treated can manifested it self in ways your young DJ mind can not yet comprehend.

I wana go back…

I'm not trying to write anything clever, just getting shit of my hairy man chest..
    Last edited by mygaff; 07-05-2012 at 04:10 PM.
    Mygaff Radio - Wednesday Nights 6 - 8pm [GMT] via www.playfmdublin.com

Seems like when you go to smaller towns where there's less of a 'scene' the people there still run shit old school.

At least around here....I can't speak for Dublin of course, and I think the whole magic of digging through those exclusive shops is pretty much lost, but at least it's nice to see in some out of the way, hole in wall spot that there's still a sweaty room full of people totally up for it

Keep on trucking homes

Tech Wizard

And when you were 20 there was crowd doing what you are.
    "thats not proper dancing" " how can you listen to that crap" " it just goes doof doof all night"
    etc etc
    Its called getting old brother.
    Welcome
    Now go and put the kettle on

The cycle repeats.

Nice you were a superstar at some point.

Tech Wizard

I wish I was a little bit taller.

These acts are the "new" music industry adapting to the post computer era. You're not mailing this letter to a magazine are you? You can still play your traditional house music using modern technology. Find a venue with a more mature crowd whom appreciates and has good taste. It's a smaller venue without huge capacities, but you'll have fun and get paid.
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

Quote Originally Posted by joonmusic View Post
    I wish I was a baller.

Sorry OP
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep
    Quote Originally Posted by joonmusic
    I wish I was a baller.
    Don't apologise.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I'd like to go back to...the early 80's - when you could walk into a club and here everything from Patrick Cowley to OMD to Run DMC and back again - genres? WTF are those, we didn't care...we just wanted to hear music we could dance to and almost ever song was a different "genre"! Well, sorry to tell you my friend, times changes, there is no going back to the "good old days" whatever they mean to you (or me, or someone who went to Woodstock and misses that groove). Time to look forward and make the future not suck as much as the present...that's progress!
    17" MBP:2.66Ghz i7 8Gb| Traktor Pro 2|Live 8 Suite
    Novation Twitch & LaunchPad|M-Audio Oxygen 25
    Presonus FireStudio Mobile|Shure 315's|Yamaha HS50M's
    "“beatmatching” isnt even a fucking skill as far as im concered anyway. so what, you can count to 4. cool. i had that skill down when i was 3."-deadmau5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast