Anyone using Reason rewired into Ableton?
    Tech Wizard

Default Anyone using Reason rewired into Ableton?

Was thinking of getting Komplete Ultimate but now Im thinking of possibly just rewiring Reason into Ableton any serious cons of going this route? havent messed with reason much but I like the idea of a complete system like reason with all my vsts built in inside of something as flexible as ableton thoughts?

OK my disclaimer is that when I did this I was using Ableton 5.2 and Reason 3, but at the time this worked perfectly and was very easy to set up (far easier than Traktor/Ableton for example). DJ software should get hip to ReWire because it made life a lot easier.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Wizard

Awesome yeah the traktor ableton setup is what Im using to dj but I think Im going to be dropping traktor soon as I want to do more live production stuff how was it on cpu usage?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mr.Byrd2593 View Post
    Awesome yeah the traktor ableton setup is what Im using to dj but I think Im going to be dropping traktor soon as I want to do more live production stuff how was it on cpu usage?
    Reason is generally pretty good CPU wise, although Reason has expanded so much since v4 (currently 6.5) the demand has increased. ReWire works absolutely fine with Ableton (ReWire was developed by Propelleread & Steinberg to allow cross talking of DAWs/soft synths etc). This is a good combination as you can always drop VST's in to Ableton if you need to but still do the majority of work in Reason.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

met someone tonight at a gig who does just this....says he loves it...especially malstrom within ableton

Quote Originally Posted by djproben
    DJ software should get hip to ReWire because it made life a lot easier.
    VirtualDJ does this.

(In before synthet1c! )
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I actually just picked up a version of Reason for this.. I've been doing it with the demo and sound flower for a couple months to test it out. Reason is just a beautiful thing to look at after playing in ableton for so long.
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

I do this… just because I prefer the sounds of Thor and the infinite possibilities of Combinators.

It’s easy enough to do as well, without aggregate devices:

1. Open Ableton first, then Reason (on my MBP I use different ‘spaces’ for ease of viewing).
    2. Create a MIDI and an Audio track in Ableton. You need both for one Reason instrument. (I group these for convenience).
    3. Open or create your favourite Reason patch.
    4. Back in Ableton in the Audio Tracks ‘Audio From’ drop down, select ‘Reason’ and then which output you need (i.e. 1/2, 3/4…) and click the ‘Monitor IN’ button.
    5. In the MIDI track, in the ‘MIDI To’ drop down, select your instrument you want to send your note information to (i.e. Combinator1).
    6. Arm your MIDI track and play away! If done correctly you will see your instrument in reason flash the ‘Note On’ caption.

This can be done with instruments, FX and just about everything! Top tip is to delete the standard mixer in Reason and instead use the Audio I/O’s outputs instead. This makes it easier to select what you want in Ableton.

Hope this helps!
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by m00n View Post
    I actually just picked up a version of Reason for this.. I've been doing it with the demo and sound flower for a couple months to test it out. Reason is just a beautiful thing to look at after playing in ableton for so long.
    Reason6.5.jpg

You're spot on, the Reason rack is an object of beauty!!
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.