which is better for my needs NI machine/machine mikro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default which is better for my needs NI machine/machine mikro

i'm new in to making music is there a big differences. is it the money word for the full sized machine

Hundreds of threads on this already. Go get saucy with the search button.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

there really isn't that much of a difference between them they both have the same software, the maschine mikro only has 1 screen where as the maschine has 2 screens, the maschine has more knobs and buttons than the mikro which only has 1 knob.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

As a Mikro owner, I can tell you that I'm really enjoying it. It's easy to learn, is nice and portable, and comes in at a pretty good price. Now, all of that can all be said about the Maschine as well, more or less. I picked up the Mikro because it's easier to work into my DJing setup and it takes up less space. I would love the knobs and extra control the full Maschine has and will probably purchase one in the future, but if you're just starting, the Mikro is a fine option.
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mikro, Equator D5s

if you have the space and can afford it just go with the maschine. most people who got a mikro to save money say they wish they had gotten the full size hardware. as far as i'm aware you can control everything with the maschine from the hardware itself, where you cannot with the mikro. i.e. you cannot control multiple effects parameters from the mikro since there are no knobs for that. you will have to work more with your mouse if you go the mikro option, and that would be rough especially for effects.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Remember it is a piece of gear to go with other gear, you will still need a DAW, and probably a keyboard. Depending on where you are at with getting gear, as far as I can tell, it isn't really stand alone and should be considered after you have the core of your studio set up.

Quote Originally Posted by rdale View Post
    Remember it is a piece of gear to go with other gear, you will still need a DAW, and probably a keyboard. Depending on where you are at with getting gear, as far as I can tell, it isn't really stand alone and should be considered after you have the core of your studio set up.
    no, you don't need a daw with either one of them as they both come with the same full blown software that will give you all you need to make music. i think it's quite the opposite, if you are new to production and looking for something to start making music the maschine is the perfect thing to get first. most people i have spoken to prefer to use the maschine in combination with other daws since it's easier to do certain things in ableton, pro tools, etc. where some people like to use it as a plug in within their current daw. it seems pretty flexible so far to me.

right now it's the only production software i have on my computer and it's all i need to start making music. you can check out what songs sound like fully produced and mixed with maschine via their website in some of the expansion packs:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...nsistor-punch/

edit: having a keyboard does help for certain people though. i have an easier time using my mpk49 for most melodies and basslines. a couple people even prefer using the pads for this anyhow, so it's personal preference really, and you can definitely get by without one.
    Last edited by squidot; 07-07-2012 at 05:16 AM.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Mr Squid is correct, it can be used as a standalone production tool. There are however a good deal of people who do like to use Maschine alongside a DAW like Ableton/Logic/Reason/ProTools/Cubase etc. There are some limitations in Maschine that can be quickly overcome in a DAW. One limitation that springs to mind is side-chain compression. That has been one feature that a friend of mine uses Ableton for. Having said that, there may be a VST that can accommodate that - I haven't checked. Maschine also approaches things differently in some areas. For instance, in Ableton you can warp a sample to time stretch it where in Maschine you might slice and play it. You end up with the same result, theres just a different workflow to achieve it. These are rough examples only. If you have a DAW then Mashine would be a fine addition and will greatly accelerate much of your beat-making process. If you do not have a DAW you can use Maschne as your central production tool no matter what certain DAW snobs might tell you. As for which one to buy - at the current price, getting the full size version has to be the way to go.

That is awesome, because that is what was holding me back from getting one is not really wanting to choose a direction to go with a DAW yet. My friends are split between the Logic and Ableton camps, and I wanted to mess with each more. The videos I saw all where using a DAW as the final place to put clips.

A good deal of the people that I know who use Maschine with a DAW have had 5,10 or 15+ years using one kind of DAW or another and are used to doing things a certain way. One of them recently told me, "What I like about Maschine is that it forces me to think a bit differently..." The good news for you is that you dont have that baggage and thus will not expect Maschine to work in a certain way for you. Ultimately you may want to add a DAW but it's certainly not a prerequesite to start making tracks. I interviewed Blu Mar Ten, a drum and bass outfit for DJTT last year and they had some good advice....

While production gear is more affordable now than it has ever been, the cost can still be somewhat prohibitive. Based on your experience, what’s the bare minimum a beginner can get by on?

It really doesn’t matter. We use Cubase 4 but i’m not interested in telling people what to buy because too often it gets interpreted as some sort of rule or must-have requirement. People can use anything. It’s much better if they find their own solutions and see what happens. If people read producers saying ‘you must have this and you must have that’ then they end up getting the same stuff and sounding the same as everyone else. Go on eBay and find some stuff you’ve never heard of and buy that.

Read the whole thing here: http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/11/1...h-blu-mar-ten/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast