Phase Meter and Software Use Among the DJTT Community

View Poll Results: Do you use phase meters or ears to beatmatch?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phase Meters, using Serato

2 5.00%
  • Phase Meters, using Traktor

19 47.50%
  • Phase Meters, using Torq

0 0%
  • Phase Meters, using Virtual DJ

0 0%
  • Phase Meters, using Other DJ Software

0 0%
  • Ears; own DJ Software

17 42.50%
  • Ears; do not own DJ Software

2 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Phase Meter and Software Use Among the DJTT Community

Hey DJs,

Thought it might be interesting to see who in our forum uses ears or software phase meters (visuals) to beatmatch their tunes, and what software they use accomplish such things. Not looking to start a controllerists vs. purists battle or anything, just some curiosity and statistics. If you want to post comments on the topic, go for it. Thanks for participating.

EDIT: Just realized I should have made this poll multiple choice, as people are likely to move between software or techniques; unfortunately, I don't believe I can edit the poll. As such, mark the method/software you use most of the time, whether live or practicing.
    Last edited by Toastmaster; 07-07-2012 at 12:51 AM.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII
    Denon X1600 Professional Mixer
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 Processor, 6 GB RAM

I can actually beatmatch better using my ears... I think it comes down to me being able to more easily focus on hearing the sound when I can't see a visual representation. This makes mixing seem more real and less digital. When I first got software I followed the waveforms in VDJ using timecode vinyl but listening to the recorded mixes it felt very sudden in the pitch changes as I wasn't really listening just matching the wave's. beatmatching by ear sounds much better in the final mix.

If you want a scientific explanation your brain has a larger dedicated area in the (occipital lobe) for sight, than the area for sound in the (temporal lobe)... So if you can see something your hearing your brain will change it's focus more toward the sight as ultimately sight is more important to ensure survival than sound. that's my hypothesis anyway. Class dismissed lol

Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

I use ears to check if it sounds right (bkz it is sound I'm working with, not graphic, get it) but I use phase meters to get a feel on how much I'm nudging the track (because I don't use/have jogs or vinyl). Still, I clicked on phase-meter vote-option as I find it useful for the sync process.
    I'm even pestering NativeIdiots to fix the meter usability. There is a forum post floating around with details and images.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I use the phase meter as a reference (i don't always grid everything spot on), ears are the final judge.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    I use the phase meter as a reference (i don't always grid everything spot on), ears are the final judge.
    This describes me exactly. I never manually beatgrid so if it's off in traktor then the phrase meter is pointless.
    http://www.mixcloud.com/CalBearister/
    Technics 1200-MK2; DJM-850; Maschine

Use my ears to beatmatch - occasionally keep the corner of my eye on the phase meter on my x1 while adjusting eq/levels etc. to make sure I'm not falling out of sync as I focus on other things. I tend to look a bit more at the phase meter if the turntables I'm using are poorly calibrated and/or if the monitoring in the booth I'm in is terrible (though usually I'll mix in headphones to compensate for that instead). Oh, and I have the phase meters in the GUI for Traktor turned off because I tend to overuse them if they're turned on (with their being right there above the waveform and all).

That said - beatmatching by ear is a lot more fun than staring at the phase meter.

Tech Wizard

One of the first things I did when I switched to using a Traktor DVS setup was turn off the Phase Meter, Track BPM and BPM information. I never needed the said information when I DJ'ed solely with vinyl, and prefer to only use my ears.

Well Serato doesn't have a "phase meter" but it does have the wave-forms. Currently I'm weaning myself away from the visual waveforms, but sometimes it's really quick just to reference when I need to fix something. Working hard on getting it fully by ear though honestly, though I don't fully trust myself without it yet.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

I always try to beatmatch by ear, keeping my eyes either on the pitch fader or just closed, although I always check my result after I consider "I'm done" or if I find myself totally lost. I plan on turning the phase meter off on a near future as I get better at beatmatching though.
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

I used to use phase meters on Traktor often, just because I liked to bring in pieces of tracks during other tunes for effect, along with doing long, sweeping FXs and the beatmatching was just a ton of multitasking at once. Then a few weeks ago, I went cold turkey and I'm enjoying it. Not doing as many FXs or multimixes, but I feel like I'm making some really awesome transitions and mixes. Next step is to remove the BPM counter and do it by ear.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII
    Denon X1600 Professional Mixer
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 Processor, 6 GB RAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast