How could one really become a great dj?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How could one really become a great dj?

Its a question i find asking myself quite often. What does it take really? Or learning all the tricks out there is the way to go? How can one be a top dj according to you
    ?
    Last edited by tekki; 07-09-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Find your own style, do something thats never been done before.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Convert

Its not what you know it is who you know.

To become a DJ that is good in the eyes of other DJs, practice a shitload. To become a DJ that is good in the eyes of the masses, know the right people.

it should be about "becoming" the best DJs, all the "best" DJs just played for the love of it and some how stumbled into the lime light. Just keep at it, network, and put yourself in a situation to succeed

Tech Wizard

Well don't think, "I want to be a great DJ!" for a start, I'd say. Focus on doing great things but if you're looking only towards the destination then you won't know the journey required to get there.

For me, it's being able to connect with whoever your target audience is. It's no good knowing everything if you can't use it to make a connection. So, for a DJ, this is involving every person in every crowd in every single gig and just keep going at that rate. With DJ-ing, to me the most important aspect is trust. In other words that the people you're playing to trust you, meaning you can push the envelope because they'll go with you, and only through doing that will you improve.

Respect from your peers is overrated. If you're bad, they'll hate you because you're shit. If you're good, they'll hate you because you're better than them. If they love you, it's either because you're just a cool guy they like as a person or because you validate their own beliefs somehow. The audience will tell you if you're 'great' or not: either through appreciation or, on the flip side, through what your not hearing (i.e. not getting repeat crowds when you're advertised, not getting booked etc).

But what do I know? I don't think of myself as a 'great' DJ.
    "Today, we do what they won't, so tomorrow we can achieve what they can't..."
    DJ | Writer | Podcaster | Facebook | Twitter

Love for your trade comes first because you need that in order to be dedicated. Then comes lots and lots of practice.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

how deep is your throat? jk... just become a world renowned producer... it's that easy
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Do you think being a DJ/Producer would help make someone famous quick?

If you want to be recognized in a wider sense by people across the world then production is basically essential. very few major DJs don't produce, or produce rarely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast