Keep Kontrol S2 + Maschine or Buy CDJ-850/900 and mixer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Keep Kontrol S2 + Maschine or Buy CDJ-850/900 and mixer?

So I have been DJ'ing for maybe 3 years, started out with a M-audio Xponent, now have a Kontrol s2 and Maschine. These devices combined do everything I need and more which is awesome. I am now starting to be offered gig's at some popular local clubs and have been holding off accepting because i am too nervous/embarrassed to bring a controller setup, especially with no safety net if something buggers up. The promoter who was asking if i wanted to play said i could bring my setup no problem but i just don't feel right doing this. I have no experience on CDJ's either so I am not sure weather i could just walk in with a usb and spin on their setup as im used to Traktor. I can beatmatch manually without visuals etc but I am not comfortable playing a big gig like this without at least some experience on the gear.

So... I am now deciding whether I want to spend thousands of dollars on gear that does less than my controllers. Considering DJ'ing is a hobby for me and i would be playing a couple gigs a month for the experience/fun, which would not make me enough to pay for the gear its hard to justify. I don't mind spending the money I am basically just wanting some advice as to what CDJ's i should be considering. Ideally i think i would like the 900's, but i know the 1000 mk3, 850, 900 are all around the same price. I was even thinking the 400's or 350's would be good enough for me to get used to the pioneer gear/setup. Only downside to that is if I ever host parties or do any mobile gig's id rather have the better gear. The last factor is the cool factor , the 850,900,1000 look a lot more professional than the 350/400's, although no one except me and other DJ's know the difference i suppose, and they couldn't look like any more of a toy then my controllers.

Anyone else been through this decision? I feel like if i went timecode/hid/midi it would be pointless as i have a full controller setup already. I mostly play funky/jazzy/minimal house and progressive/electro/trance. I don't do anything too fancy, just loops maybe some cue points and the odd effect here and there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Stick with what you have. People seem to have this really strange notion that you need to "get used to the feel" of CDJs. It fundamentally works the same. Stare at a top view picture of the CDJ you want to learn about, and download the manual if you have any questions about the buttons. Congratulations, you're completely certified in virtually everything CDJ. The only thing really weird is hot cues vs memory cues, but if you don't need to juggle hot cues, you're fine.

Which CDJs are you going to be playing on? You mentioned USBs, so I'm assuming newer ones. If they're 900/2000s, just download Rekordbox, analyze your tracks, set and memory any cues you'd like to load up later, and then export the library onto a thumb drive. After that, stare at a picture of one, manual, etc. And you're totally good to go.

Tech Student

Hey Verko,
    I was actually in the same boat as you. Almost 3 years, started with the Xponent, now have and S4 and Maschine. Then I got a residency and had to decide to bring my controller or use the CDJ2000s and DJM900 the club had. At first I was reluctant to use their equipment because I had no experience on it and felt it didn't offer the functionality of my setup, So I would lug my S4 back and forth. Of course the manager would poke fun at me about my toy off and on. Then one day I decided to make the switch and learn the 2000's and the DJM900. It took me longer to get warmed up to them then probably most others but now I actually prefer using them rather than my S4, and the effects on the 900 are quite sufficient. Using The CDJs has gotten me away from my laptop screen too. Even though I still use Traktor, I place it to the side and focus more on the equipment. I wouldn't however go out and buy all that equipment, it's insanely expensive. If you have the opportunity to practice on it then take it, maybe a really really really long soundcheck when no one is there If you end up playing regularly there then you will get plenty of play time on the equipment. I was lucky in that I have a residency where I play 3-4 times a week so I was able to learn the equipment at a slow pace. So now I use my S4 at home to practice and make demos and I play out with the locations equipment. It's a nice balance and I think it is rounding me out as a DJ. Hope that helps!

Tech Student

just had the same exact dilemma you're having.

learned on a numark mixdeck a few years back, bought an s4 last year, got a bunch of gigs/out of state shows, ended up picking up CDJ-850k's recently and a used DJM400 mixer, and i love it. i learned on the CDJs at the club and through videos/friends, but really got the hang of beatmatching with the s4, just turn off the "phase meter" and get good at that. just a reminder though- with CDJ's/serato/timecode, the tempo is displayed at 'XXX', instead of 'XXX.xx' like in traktor, so beatmatching requires extra work (which i personally like). it really puts your head in the music, and when you get comfortable, its a ton of fun. i also love never having to bring anything to the club except laptop case w/ serato box, or flash drives, depending on the gig.

in the end, im just the type of guy who wants to know/have experience with everything possible when it comes to DJing. be the best at your craft! next is vinyl once i earn back the dent in the bank account

Tech Wizard

Thanks for all the feedback. I have decided I would like to buy the gear for sure, mostly because I play at a bar or two in which i use my own gear. I have narrowed it down to the 850k's or the 900's. The hard decision for me is the lack of quantized loops on the 850k, slip mode and link. I heard with the 850's you can set up some loops in rekordbox before hand and they will quantize but i usually do my looping on the fly during transitions. Wondering how hard the looping really is on the 850's compared to what im used to with traktor? Slip mode is cool n all but if im playing house i know i wont care, maybe use it for buildups with electro/progressive but i could prolly do without, and the link i really want as my music is all on one ext harddrive.

Lastly i have been told by several friends if i get the 900's don't get the djm-900 as i can get a really good mixer for much cheaper, any recommendations on this?

Quote Originally Posted by verko View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. I have decided I would like to buy the gear for sure, mostly because I play at a bar or two in which i use my own gear. I have narrowed it down to the 850k's or the 900's. The hard decision for me is the lack of quantized loops on the 850k, slip mode and link. I heard with the 850's you can set up some loops in rekordbox before hand and they will quantize but i usually do my looping on the fly during transitions. Wondering how hard the looping really is on the 850's compared to what im used to with traktor? Slip mode is cool n all but if im playing house i know i wont care, maybe use it for buildups with electro/progressive but i could prolly do without, and the link i really want as my music is all on one ext harddrive.

Lastly i have been told by several friends if i get the 900's don't get the djm-900 as i can get a really good mixer for much cheaper, any recommendations on this?
    Looping without quantization is difficult but it can be done - although you wont be doing anything else while making sure the loops are beatmatched. I use Radius 1000s with CDs sometimes so the looping is manual. Unless you are perfect at placing loop in/out on the beats, you'll have to continuously pitch bend with the jog every looping cycle to keep it in sync with the incoming track. If you know whether its faster or slower, you can get in the groove quick but, as I said, you have to do that the entire transition to avoid having a trainwreck.

As for the DJM 900, I suggest a DN-X1600 or X1700. Mixer has great FX, TSP Certified and amazing MIDI features, just in case you still want to use Traktor for anything in conjunction with the equipment
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII
    Denon X1600 Professional Mixer
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 Processor, 6 GB RAM

Tech Mentor

Only get the Djm-900 if you can justify the $$$, for me it was a no brainer with trying to bring bigger names in to Greenville, SC so i went with it. and I lOVE IT!!! Im using 1200 MKII's serato and a 2012 MBP 13" and can't decide to wait for the new cdj's from pioneer to come out or try and snag a pair of used 900/2000 every time i get close to making transaction it falls through though! but such is life and everything happens for a reason.. RIGHT? I'm just tired of having to use a laptop because i don't have an extensive vinyl collection.

id say what you need to get comfortable with is the clubs mixer which in 99% of cases is djm 800/900.
    a good investment for you would be to buy a djm mixer because thats what takes longest time to fully learn, effects and so.

cdjs you will learn fast, no need to buy them unless you want to rock with cds and have space for them at home!

im currently looking at behringers new cmd line of controllers to combine with my djm 850 which i will get home tomorrow
    (instead of cdjs)

Tech Wizard

So i came upon this article today looks like exactly what i want for pretty cheap! i would then get a djm-850/900 to go with them.

Anyone have experience with these cdj's?

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2012/05...emini-cdj-700/

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

You won't get much of the "CDJ experience" with Gemini players, or at least it won't be the pleasant one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast