My financial gear debate
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My financial gear debate

Okay, first I'll be honest. I got a letter in the mail saying my credit limit on my credit hard had more then doubled, and I got a pretty big high from all of a sudden have twice as much spending power as before (evil spending power, that is). And I'm my underdeveloped mind I went out and bought a Numark DJIO (which I love btw) and an M-Audio X-Session Pro. Obviously, I charged both these things. Total, it was about $240 with tax.

Now this was all fine and dandy until I stated thinking about it. I know I won't pay it all off this month when my bill comes. In fact, I'll probably only pay like $50 of it. And when it really comes down to it, I could just just the DJIO, my mouse, and VDJ to do everything. The X-Session is really just more of a convenience.

So my question is: what would you all do? Do I return the X-Session and swim in debt for a few months? (I don't make a whole lot of cash at my little part time job) Or, do I just enjoy using something I really like and slowly pay it off?
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Oh, well, lord knows I'd say get it and just pay it off slowly.

Though, I would also put my now-doubled-in-limit credit card in a dresser drawer until it is paid off, in the interest of not just spending more. Even at $50 a month you'll have it paid off in just over 5 months. That's not terrible.

Just don't make TOO much of a habit out of this. We all fall into it at some point
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Thats a good point. And, on average I make just under $200 a week (definitely not something I'm trying to brag about, lol) So I figure if I take out like $15 a week and toss that into the bank, that's $60 a month so I'll be in good shape. Plus I have zero percent interest for a bit longer so thats always a plus. lol

Plus I'll be honest. I really like the x-session. It certainly has more of a DJ-feel to it than a mouse.
    LamboxMusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    Thats a good point. And, on average I make just under $200 a week (definitely not something I'm trying to brag about, lol) So I figure if I take out like $15 a week and toss that into the bank, that's $60 a month so I'll be in good shape. Plus I have zero percent interest for a bit longer so thats always a plus. lol

Plus I'll be honest. I really like the x-session. It certainly has more of a DJ-feel to it than a mouse.
    I hate to say it but I think you spent your money poorly . Just my opinion probably swayed my opinion being that I never liked the xsession .

Tech Mentor

Learn to manage your money, and always buy used. If you really want it you'll save for it.

Quote Originally Posted by darrel855 View Post
    I hate to say it but I think you spent your money poorly . Just my opinion probably swayed my opinion being that I never liked the xsession .
    How's that? Considering I work a job where I make less than adult minimum wage (and I'm 19), I have to pay for my own food, gas, clothes, insurance and whatever else, theres not a whole lot else that I can afford. Really the only thing the xsession doesn't have that I'd want is the jog wheels. And considering I'd never be able to afford a VCI, the xsession does what I want it to.

And what it doesn't do that I need I can make up for with my nanopad.
    LamboxMusic.com

Just make sure that you have it paid off before the 0% interest term is over. Once that ends you aquire ALL of the interest from the months that they weren't charging you.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by miyuru View Post
    Learn to manage your money, and always buy used. If you really want it you'll save for it.
    I don't like buying used if I can avoid it. There's always a degree of wear and tear on preowned shit and God knows if they used the things to wipe their ass or something. lol.

I just like new things. I understand that some people don't care. It's a personal preference
    LamboxMusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    I just like new things. I understand that some people don't care. It's a personal preference
    I'm in the same boat. I'd rather pay the extra $100 or $200 for something new with the assumption that it will work, then spend the lesser amount and take the risk.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

If i can add a few cents... When making purchasing on your credit card try to calculate the depreciation value of the gear into your decision. Both the items you purchased do not hold great resale value. Please don't confuse this with me saying that are not good items. I am suggesting take a moment to see what the used gear is selling for on ebay or craigslists. This may help when deciding what to charge and what to buy used.

My formula is

poor resale value but still want the gear = I look for used gear,
    Excellent resale value = I do what I can to sell my old gear to buy new, but if really necessary or has a potential to make you money then credit is not a bad option. As others mention pay before the interest kicks in and guess what? you WIN!

Maybe others can add to this list as well but here are some items that I feel have very strong resale value.

This is not a list of what I think is good or bad, This is a list from my own personal selling experience and therefore should only be taken as a matter of opinion.

Great Resale Value
    Pioneer
    Mackie
    JBL
    Vestax
    Rane
    Allen& Heath

Not great
    Gemini
    American Audio
    Numark
    Stanton