Question about sustaining MIDI commands
    Tech Mentor

Default Question about sustaining MIDI commands

Hi guys,

I've been using an X1 for the past few months (with ITCH) as a keyboard emulator that gives me access to all five cue points and control of the SP-6 Sampler on a controller. I've been using the free version of Bome's MIDI Translator.

However, I have not been successful in figuring out how to execute multiple-key instructions (for example, SHIFT + L arrow, which would load a track to the left deck). Also, I can only move between cue points while the track is playing. If I hit a cue point button while the track is paused, the button press simply acts as if I hit the cue button for a minuscule period of time - it moves to the pressed cue point, but I cannot get it to act as if I were holding down a pressed hotcue.

I believe that these issues are related, and that the core problem is that none of the midi signals to Bome's are sustained while I hold a button down. Essentially, each button press only executes the corresponding MIDI command for an infinitesimally small period of time.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Tech Guru

Sending a key combination is defined in the outgoing tab of your translator. Select "Key Press or Sequence" and input your key strokes.

Regarding your timing issue, are you defining your outgoing message as a Key Press or a Key down / Key up event?

You might build a translator that sends the key down when it receives the note on, then waits for the note off to send the key up message for that key. You're probably doing a key press instead.

You also have the option of adding a timer to your sequence, which is also an option in your incoming and outgoing messaging for each translator.

Tech Mentor

Excellent! I did this and it worked excellently. However, now the lights on the X1's buttons won't act normally. I changed all the commands for keystrokes 1 through 10 to "key down" actions and added another layer of "key up" actions for 1 through 10, and now the lights won't turn on when I hit them and turn off when I press the corresponding button. Instead, the light turns on and stays on (MIDI Thru is checked, so I'm not sure why this is).

Any ideas as to what may have happened?