Want to properly start producing my own music - Logic or Ableton?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Want to properly start producing my own music - Logic or Ableton?

Hey guys.

I want to start getting serious into production now and make my own tunes, And before I spend a heap of money on a DAW, I wanna know what's the best one to get. I'm deciding out of Logic or Ableton, I have Logic pro 8or9 on my Mac G5, but not my macbook, and i use my MBP the most, so want a new copy for it, I have also downloaded and tried the trial version of ableton live (8 i think) and it seems SO user friendly, much more then Logic, Ableton seems to work easier, where as logic, im just mind blown and haven't got a clue how to do anything.

I have heard that Logic is better for producing music, and ableton is better for DJing Live with, I REALLY want to benefit from the live DJ side of ableton, but... I'm just really wanting to get into producing my own tracks and remixing etc now.

If I get ableton, ill benefit hugely from the live DJ part, because thats where im aiming for with my sets, but would i be limited to the production part, and would logic be better to use for producing.

What do you all recommend? Thanks!

Thanks for replying.

I already have a MIDI keyboard, Behringer UMX250, and I have Maschine, I just wanted to know for me what is going to be better out of Logic and Ableton, from a producer point of view.

Based on your original post, I recommend Ableton all the way. I like the way Maschine can work with Ableton (http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=48092) just a tiny bit better than it does with Logic.

If you have a lot of DJ experience, you'll probably like the way warping and scenes work in Ableton for the purposes of producing (as well as for DJing), and you will probably like the way Ableton's various instruments and effects integrate. The "Simpler -> Sampler" and "Sampler -> Simpler" buttons would be a great example of this.

Cool! Yeah I have been DJing professionally for quite a while now and am very serious about it, so always looking for new things and ways to better my setup/sets equipment etc.

DJing with ableton is definitely something im going to try, i just want a good DAW to make my own tunes all from scratch, something that accepts most plugins and something I can really spend a lot of time with and get a lot out of! I am really thinking of just getting ableton live 8 and either an APC or M-Audio Evolution Uc33e with it!

Both great DAW but if you have I personally would take Logic Pro over Ableton all day.

Logic is a great composition DAW and really has the top of the market plugins. It's great for electronic music aswell as the jazz or rock band.

Ableton more geared towards electronic music. I mean ive had a play around with both and I hated ableton's setup but many people probably love and stand by it. Logic Pro is native 64 bit which is a plus as ableton has only just started testing 64bit on their platform.

If your going to go with ableton I suggest you wait until ableton 9 comes out, you'll benefit alot from that.

Also try all the demo's of every daw and see what you like best. Every top end DAW is just as good as each other in terms of usage for producers. You really cant know what you like till you try them all. Don't focus on the "name" so much and look at what comes in the box for value. A good example of this is FL Studio, the DAW seen as a toy by many was actually voted the DAW of 2011.

Both ableton and logic are great top-end daws but really try them both out and see how you feel with them.

If I can personally chip in my 2cents, have a look at Studio One 2 by Presonus. Its made by the makers of cubase :P

I own Ableton and would go for this again if I had to choose. But it's right that some plug-ins are missing and therefore Cubase or Studio One could be interesting as well if you can pass on Live's performance functionality.

Apart from that: Notice that Logic has been kind of discontinued by Apple! No major updates in years now! Most other DAWs have been advanced a lot at the same time. Logic tends to be more and more outdated.
    Lots of professionals in the audio and video business assume Apple will more or less leave the professional sector and focus more on the consumer market!
    Last edited by RockingClub; 07-09-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by liam1895 View Post
    Both great DAW but if you have I personally would take Logic Pro over Ableton all day.

Logic is a great composition DAW and really has the top of the market plugins. It's great for electronic music aswell as the jazz or rock band.

Ableton more geared towards electronic music. I mean ive had a play around with both and I hated ableton's setup but many people probably love and stand by it. Logic Pro is native 64 bit which is a plus as ableton has only just started testing 64bit on their platform.

If your going to go with ableton I suggest you wait until ableton 9 comes out, you'll benefit alot from that.

If I can personally chip in my 2cents, have a look at Studio One 2 by Presonus. Its made by the makers of cubase :P
    What does Logic have to do with jazz? WHAT?! I'm very weirded out by that idea.

Ableton's 64 bit beta works really well for me.

Waiting for Live 9 seems like really, incredibly terrible advice to me. There is no release date at this point. Also, I'm very curious what you know about Live 9 that you think "[the OP will] benefit alot [sic] from that"?

The OP mentioned his G5 and MacBook Pro, so he would need to be running another OS just to run FL Studio.

Lots of professionals in the audio and video business assume Apple will more or less leave the professional sector and focus more on the consumer market!
    I don't believe that Apple will leave the professional sector at all.

Quote Originally Posted by liam1895 View Post

Also try all the demo's of every daw and see what you like best. Every top end DAW is just as good as each other in terms of usage for producers. You really cant know what you like till you try them all. Don't focus on the "name" so much and look at what comes in the box for value. A good example of this is FL Studio, the DAW seen as a toy by many was actually voted the DAW of 2011.

Both ableton and logic are great top-end daws but really try them both out and see how you feel with them.

Tbh mate 64bit tech stuff, I just dont get it... So not sure it's gonna be a advantage or disadvantage because i don't even understand it but yeah I get your point try them all out and see, i have Logic Pro 8 on my G5, and I find it really hard too use, however i have downloaded a trial of ableton live 8, and found some tutorial videos on YT how to make a beat/basics etc. and i managed to get a 8 bar kick/clap/hat going, pretty dam quickly too, so thats a good thing. I don't want to wait until ableton 9 comes out becasue, eh who knows how long that'll even be? and its going to be costy, ive seen ableton live 8 for round about £250-300. Logic is cheaper tho, digital version on app store is less then £200 i believe.

Hmmm... MY dad had cubase a few years back, lot absolutely mentally difficult. Was a few years back tho before i was even thinking about producing my own stuff. thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by RockingClub View Post
    I own Ableton and would go for this again if I had to choose. But it's right that some plug-ins are missing and therefore Cubase or Studio One could be interesting as well if you can pass on Live's performance functionality.

Apart from that: Notice that Logic has been kind of discontinued by Apple! No major updates in years now! Most other DAWs have been advanced a lot at the same time. Logic tends to be more and more outdated.
    Ableton does look and feel a lot easier, nut so many people i know make really good music and all use Logic, not being a sheep, just saying it does the job for them, and its the same job i want do to, so it just seems convinient, but liam1895 is right, best ot play with a few, even tho i doubt i even will! Really just going to choose between Logic and ableton as they are the 2 ive spent the most time playing with......

Also, yeah. It does seem as if Apple as abandoned Logic....? When was the last time there was an update or anything new? Hope there will be a new one, for future purposes.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast