Help recording a mix to my laptop

Default Help recording a mix to my laptop

I know this may seem a n00bish question, but I've been having trouble trying to record a mix via my CDJs. Previously I have been recording my mixes through Serato ITCH with my VCI 300 and before that I was using my CDJs and old laptop which has since died.

I had no problem recording with my old laptop, and recording via serato couldn't be simpler. However my serato recordings just don't seem right. I don't know if it's just me but the audio quality is a bit lacking, most notably in the bass. Now, I don't know if that is a problem with my laptop's soundcard or the controller or the software, but I intended to find out by recording mixes using my CDJs and laptop.

The thing is, with the laptop I am using at the moment there is no line in port on the side, just a mic in and a headphone in. I tried plugging the dual RCA to 3.5mm into the mic in port and recording that way, but it didn't pick up much sound; and by that I mean there was a waveform on audacity but it was so low that it was not audible on my laptop with the speakers on full.

If it helps I am using a Korg KM 202 mixer; the back looks like this:

I currently have the master out RCAs going into the speakers and I thought that plugging the dual RCA to 3.5 mm cable from the booth out to the laptop would be suitable for recording. But I was faced with the problem in the previous paragraph.

Is this just a simple connectivity problem, or is it just the fact that my laptop is not capable of recording mixes due to the lack of line in port?
    | Pioneer CDJ 800 | Korg KM202 | Citronic MPCD-S3 |

Soundcloud|Twitter|Mixcloud

are all your settings in audacity correct? volume set correctly? i had some problems with audacity recording really quietly when i updated it to the current version.

I was looking at several videos on youtube when I first tried to record, but the only things I changed from default was switching mono to stereo. What did you alter to increase the audibility?

there are two sliders at the top. one playback volume and one for input volume (the one with the mic). mine was set too low so even though the levels on the mixer were good the recorded audio came out too quiet.

Ah yes, it was set too low on mine as well. I'll have another go at recording a mix tomorrow morning, I don't think the neighbours would appreciate it at this hour.

Thanks

I had a go at recording a mix after changing the input volume the other day. It started to pick up the sound more, but it was distorted and didn't sound good. Would buying an external sound card make any difference? Also, do external DJ recording devices exist and if they do are they any good?

mic port is a no no mate pick yourself up a second hand audio 4 would be my advice.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "