DJM 250 + Vestax VFX-1

Default DJM 250 + Vestax VFX-1

Hey guys, I had a quick question. I currently own a VCI-300 and VFX-1 and am looking into my first set of Technics and SSL. I rarely use effects in my mixing and am on a tight budget, so will something like a VFX-1 (which I already own) and a cheaper mixer like the DJM 250 be compatible with the Serato Scratch Live? The DJM 250 along with many other mixers are going for under $300 along with SSL 1 for $300-350 in Los Angeles.

Rane mixers are a little out of my budget and would rather save up for reliable technics instead of home projects that need fixing up.

Tech Mentor

Budget gear made by Pio is still budget gear. Sorry, but I don't really hold a lot of respect for their entry level stuff, as you can find equal if not better gear by another brand for the same price. For the same price of that mixer (+/-$300) I'd go with the Xone 22. That's just my 2 cents worth, do with it what you will.

EDIT: And what exactly do you mean by "compatible?" If you mean will it work, then yes. It's a DVS system, it doesn't really matter what CDJs/TTs/mixer you have as long as you have the appropriate box and RCAs. If you're looking for a Scratch certified mixer, you'll probably need something a bit higher up on the price chain.
    Last edited by DJ Sunshine; 07-08-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Mentor

Try getting the korg mixer the km-202 its good plus it has a nanopad on it for effects. It's cheap too.

Tech Guru

Yes, they would work fine with SSL. Bigbeatz another forum member here has a DJM-250 and likes it for the price. Said the filters sound just like a DJM-800. If you have the VFX-1, it works well with SSL. It's s toss up between the Xone 22 and the Pio, but i'd pick the Pio...I've read alot of folks complain about "popping" when engaging the filter. If I was on a real budget I'd look for TASCAM XS-8, it's a rebadge of an ECLER HAK and built like a tank. I got one on eBay a while back for 150.00. Only issue was the output was kinda low even with the jumpers, it wasn't as loud as my DJM-800. But for scratching the xfader was great. If not I'd stick with the 250.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Thanks for the responses, the DJM 250 was just an example of a mixer that didn't have any type of send/return. i wasnt sure if that was needed for the VFX-1 but I'm assuming it plugs directly into the laptop like it would with Itch. Its a toss up between the Xone 22 and DJM 250, but that km-202 looks intense.

Tech Mentor

Unless the vfx is analog then no it doesn't need send/ return