Introduction to Tech House Suggestions?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Introduction to Tech House Suggestions?

Here's the deal, I'm getting a little sick of the usual music that I listen to and spin (fairly mainstream Electro House etc.) and I'm wanting to explore the world of Deep House and Tech House etc. I've been listening to some mixes like the one linked and I'm really enjoying a lot of it. Can someone recommend me a good starting point for this sort of music, i.e. some artists and/or compilation CD's etc.

this is more towards the funky side so check out labels like om records and 20/20 vision as they tend to run the spectrum of house, usually with an emphasis on funky and tech sounds. inland knights is a good duo, but they have a ton of releases so you probably won't like them all. some of shur-i-kan's stuff goes this route as well. i have a bunch more since i'm really into sounds like this but i can't remember off the top of my head, i would have to look at my library.

really, just go on beatport and start digging until you find a song you really like then go deeper into the artist and label and even the beatbot recommendations which can be hit or miss.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Convert

You should deff check out one of my favorite DJ/Producers: Victor Calderone.

I wouldn't consider what he was spinning tech house at all

Digging this mix. I spin a lot of stuff labeled "tech house," and this seems to be one of a few different styles in that label. I tend to refer the subgenre in my ID3 comments as "miami / ibiza" though it's hugely stereotyping based on my one experience going to WMC, but yeah it's usually in the tech house section at Beatport. But it's soulful, groovy, with very unassuming use of divas/vocals, with pretty predictable builds and drops, and not overly techy.... You'll actually find a lot of this kind of stuff just by typing miami or ibiza on your favorite music site and browsing compilations. (Emusic is great for this since compilations are nearly all 6 bucks, even if they contain 25 bangers). Listen before you buy though because some of those Ibiza and WMC compilations really lean towards the pop anthemy stuff. (There are also a number of compilations that you;ll find just searching for "Tech House" - some of them are not bad, and it's a good way to start building a list of artists whose music you want to check out further).

Look for beatport charts as well as tracks by D. Ramirez, Delicious, Funkagenda, Wattie Green (in fact anything on Coyote Cuts label), Ida Engberg, Kaiserdisco and anyone else you discover on compilations.

I have a compilation called Tech House Groover that is pretty consistently good. A bit more chillout-y is Unlimited Concept Vol. 17 (I haven't listened to the first 16, heh) -- great collection of smooth techie grooves.

I really am bad at genres though to be honest; I have a lot of stuff labeled "minimal" that is close to a lot of the stuff I like that is tech house. I also have a lot of stuff labeled "tribal" that is very similar to a lot of the stuff labeled "tech." I realize genre titles are notoriously imprecise but I'm not even sure I can articulate what "tech house" even means, heh.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    I realize genre titles are notoriously imprecise but I'm not even sure I can articulate what "tech house" even means, heh.
    This. The "tech house" genre is so varied today, no one even knows anymore. Which ever sounds good to you and goes together in a mix is all that matters really. Oh, and getting those people moving!

I've always considered tech house to be anything that's a bridge between techno & house.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Pleasurekraft is what first got me into more tech house type stuff (though some of it isn't typical tech house)

someone posted a jay lumen video the other day- this is pretty awesome:

Last edited by Xonetacular; 07-09-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-sep View Post
    You should deff check out one of my favorite DJ/Producers: Victor Calderone.
    wow. what happened to Victor's super gay tribal circuit sound ???

>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast