Starting out...get a new traktor s4 or s2 ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Starting out...get a new traktor s4 or s2 ?

Hi guys, just want to ask for opinions, as I am starting out on my route to DJing. Should I get the $100 sale off the new traktor s4 bundle with the TMA-1 headphones at DJTT or perhaps get a 2nd hand cheap traktor s2 instead? I been thinking of getting a 2nd hand s4 but seems that if I pay a couple hundred more, I could get it new instead with warranty. And besides with no warranty, I can never be sure if any knobs are faulty or not. What u guys think of getting a s4 without any warranty on it? Is it a bit too much of a risk as a beginner in this? Just for info, I been listening to electronic dance music for more than 10 years and im more into deep/tech house and berlin/detroit techno sounds.

Really like the mixing style in this:

It comes down to what you NEED. Will you be mixing 4 channels or 2? Do you want fx, samples, loops? If not, there are many other controllers out that cost less than an S4, that do not have all of those features.

What do you like about the S2? What do you like about the S4? What software have you played with? That will be a factor as well.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Wizard

THE S4 for sure.. but if youre low on money i say you wait, because if youre into tech house and all that, you would probably like triggering samples and storing all the nice cue points. thats why the S4 is a better choice, it gives you a wide range to explore, for example you can map the "midi mode" of the controller giving you even a bigger chance to set the S4 to your own customizations

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    It comes down to what you NEED. Will you be mixing 4 channels or 2? Do you want fx, samples, loops? If not, there are many other controllers out that cost less than an S4, that do not have all of those features.

What do you like about the S2? What do you like about the S4? What software have you played with? That will be a factor as well.
    yeah I think I will be going to do lots of samples and loops over my mixes in the long run. Techno mixes tend to depend lots of loops and samples and fx on the fly. Probably mix with 2 channels but I am not sure if I really need the 4 channels. It seems the S2 and S4 are pretty much alike apart from the extra 2 channels. I am going to have this boy at home on my desktop all the time so I don't think size is an issue. And I am going to go with Traktor most definitely as thats the program I have been familiar with

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by danielriosrendon View Post
    THE S4 for sure.. but if youre low on money i say you wait, because if youre into tech house and all that, you would probably like triggering samples and storing all the nice cue points. thats why the S4 is a better choice, it gives you a wide range to explore, for example you can map the "midi mode" of the controller giving you even a bigger chance to set the S4 to your own customizations
    true that..I am not really low on money. I am not in school anymore and I have a good job that pays decently well and I have savings just I want to like get the best possible purchase without blowing it too much on my first gear. Seems like the S4 is a lot of fun and lot of creativity exploration to do in the long run from the youtube videos I have been watching. I am thinking on starting on the S4, get good with it and perhaps move on to a cdj setup sometime or even expand with the kontrol x1+f1s.

The only thing is whether I should go ahead fork out additional few hundreds on a new S4 + taxes + shipping or save it up on a 2nd hand one S4 locally perhaps? Any idea if I get a off warranty S4, can I purchase a warranty to extend the S4? I tried to test a unit on craigslist but there wasn't any warranty anymore and I wasn't too familiar with the whole layout to be sure everything is working right.

S4 feels so unnecessarily bulky and large.

And I think the biggest problem with these all-in-one controllers is they're not as convenient as you'd think having everything right there. And considering these days, more and more, most nights there is a line up DJs.

And while everyone is using the mixer or something more convenient, boom comes the massive S4 and it just doesn't fit right in like a lot of things need to in that setting.

Just something to think about, I've never owned one, but I hear that is the biggest complaint. S4 is a powerful and great unit though, love to have one myself, but I think convenience is more important than all the functions the S4 offers.

But I'm kinda turned off by the all-in-one controller thing altogether.

Tech Wizard

I have an s4 for sale if you wanna save some money

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wday View Post
    S4 feels so unnecessarily bulky and large.

And I think the biggest problem with these all-in-one controllers is they're not as convenient as you'd think having everything right there. And considering these days, more and more, most nights there is a line up DJs.

And while everyone is using the mixer or something more convenient, boom comes the massive S4 and it just doesn't fit right in like a lot of things need to in that setting.

Just something to think about, I've never owned one, but I hear that is the biggest complaint. S4 is a powerful and great unit though, love to have one myself, but I think convenience is more important than all the functions the S4 offers.

But I'm kinda turned off by the all-in-one controller thing altogether.
    I have heard and read about this but I am just starting out and not going to go for club gigs any time yet so I think its fine for me in terms of size and weight.

Between the s4 s2 I'd no doubht go for the s4 I'd say its better to have more then you need then not having all that you need. 4 Channels are better if your going to be mixing 2 songs and add loops/samples as you will have more controll of the volume faders.
    And buying second hand should not be a big problem as it's going to sit on your desktop most of the time and chances of it breaking are more limeted then if you were constantly moving around with it. Put a picture of them side by side ask your self what is the S2 missing that I'm sure I'll use. For deep/tech house I'd gues the filter knob would come in handy.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Mentor

I'd say the S4 in the long run, but if your'e in to 2 track mixing with occasional looping and one-shot sampling, I'd go for the S2, plus, you can always add a Traktor Kontrol F1 if you want more control over your sample usage
    VCI-400 EGE / Sennheiser HD-25-1 II / MF3D / iPad 2 running Lemur / Audio 6 DJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast