Akai APC40 MIDI Layout
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Akai APC40 MIDI Layout

I'm starting to create a MIDI mapping of the APC 40 in Traktor and wanted to share the layout key I made. It displays all of the MIDI note and CC values and the respective channels for each button.

I was going to try and use the APC40 in combination with the Vestax VCI-100, but unfortunately there are many duplicate notes and CCs. This means functionality out-of-the-box may be compromised, but there is probably a workaround using Bome's MIDI Translator, MAX, or just waiting till Max for Live comes out.

Otherwise, I may come up with a complete mapping just using the APC40 for fun. It probably won't be as intuitive as using the VCI-100, but it may result in an interesting take on using Traktor. A little more of a monome feel. After all, I was able to break sports records and rescue a princess only using a directional pad and two buttons. Anyone using a monome to control Traktor? What are some ideas people would like to see implemented in a mapping?

***UPDATE: I posted a very basic mapping in a new thread to get people started with the APC40.
    ***http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6240
    Last edited by misa; 07-21-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks Misa, I am going to make a mapping for the smart mixer setup next week sometime, and I will post it. Any ideas?

Tech Wizard

Is there any way to get the Leds around the knobs to sync up with the knob position in Traktor? It seems only the top left knobs in each knob bank do this.....

I didn't have the chance to look into LED output. I'll see what I can work out next week.

Tech Wizard

As mentioned earlier, I'd still like to know the LED schema on this as well, but it doesn't look like Akai has released that information. I guess someone will have to intercept the notes it receives from Ableton to light it up with Bomes or something to see what lights up which color on a button and how.
    Last edited by JCribb; 06-10-2009 at 07:56 PM.

hello,

Thought this might be helpful to you guys

Here's a video of the APC40 with Traktor Pro and a .tsi...although I'll tell u, unless u are using an external mixer, this map will probably not be so perfect for u. Well, something to work with, i guess...

Traktor Pro and Akai APC40 Video

APC40 Traktor Pro map

if that doesnt work go to: http://www.robelmusic.com and do save link as.

I'll post a little description of the mappings later

[m]

Quote Originally Posted by misa View Post
    I'm starting to create a MIDI mapping of the APC 40 in Traktor and wanted to share the layout key I made......
    I had different results when i checked all the MIDI note numbers and cc numbers - here is what i got -

Last edited by arcadekid; 06-18-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: clarity

That is pretty interesting to note. It may depend on the software you used to check the note and cc values. I have heard that different software or hardware manufacturers sometimes label middle C differently. It is commonly known as C4, but seeing how all your notes are one octave different than my labeling yet all the cc values are the same leads me to think this may be the case. This really can't explain why you're not getting any sort of value from the "track selection" buttons. As Ableton and Traktor both respond to the buttons being pressed, it is difficult to think that no MIDI info is being sent.

What software did you use to label your diagram? I used Traktor.

i used snoize midi monitor, but if you're a PC user you could use midi ox.

track select does perform a function, just not a note on or cc message. it changes the midi channel that device control on.

when used IN ableton, track select does work as track selection and that is handled in LIVE. i have tried to midi assign track select buttons in GRAND VJ and havn't been able to, and this is probably why.

Tech Guru

As far as custom mapping (not for Live) Can you choose which midi channel the APC40 sends on? Or if it always sends data on channel one, you could use MidiPipe to convert all the data to a different channel - and you could use it together with the vci-100 without duplicate notes affecting functions. (Haven't messed around with one yet, so just guessing here).
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast