ATTN: WESTERN/CENTRAL PA TEEN DJ's, Check this out!
    Tech Mentor

Default ATTN: WESTERN/CENTRAL PA TEEN DJ's, Check this out!

Hey guys!
    I know this might be a little bit of a stretch, but I'm dj'ing/organizing this event in Johnstown, PA, which is sort of nowhere near anywhere, but i'm gonna be playing a lot of progressive house, and dubstep, along with the dread top 40 (bleh) but, it's gonna be a SICK party, for under 21, so if you're in the area, check out the link below, and try and make the trek! We've ordered tons of glow sticks, we have an awesome light setup, and we're really gonna push the CLUB part of the "CLUB" night! It's gonna be a blast! Any questions, email me at stevephilibin@gmail.com, and i'll get back to you ASAP. Peace!

http://cl.ly/211y1l3l3M1N2X3C3H2F

Maybe call me old school... but why would you have an under 21 night? All ages? I've never honestly even heard of such a concept before. And even when I was under 21... I probably wouldn't have cared for it.

That just sounds like trouble written all over it. There's something to be said for having the support of the crowd who's kept the music scene going before you get into it, and just banning that group of people just feels... wrong to me.

Not saying that I enjoy most all age shows, or 16+ shows. Hell, I've come to prefer mostly 19+ or 21+ shows these days. But having it work backwards?

I dunno man, I dunno.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    Maybe call me old school... but why would you have an under 21 night? All ages? I've never honestly even heard of such a concept before. And even when I was under 21... I probably wouldn't have cared for it.

That just sounds like trouble written all over it. There's something to be said for having the support of the crowd who's kept the music scene going before you get into it, and just banning that group of people just feels... wrong to me.

Not saying that I enjoy most all age shows, or 16+ shows. Hell, I've come to prefer mostly 19+ or 21+ shows these days. But having it work backwards?

I dunno man, I dunno.
    Mostly because, under 21 would supposedly keep out alcohol, and it's friends, and also, to keep the older adults away from minors. And besides, what 23 yearold would want to spend their saturday surrounded by 16-17 yearolds anyways? We limit it to the age we're targeting, and this isn't an Avicii college tour, it's a party for teens, and recent highschool grads

Quote Originally Posted by sphilibin View Post
    Mostly because, under 21 would supposedly keep out alcohol, and it's friends, and also, to keep the older adults away from minors. And besides, what 23 yearold would want to spend their saturday surrounded by 16-17 yearolds anyways? We limit it to the age we're targeting, and this isn't an Avicii college tour, it's a party for teens, and recent highschool grads
    Yeah I'm not entirely knocking it, but it just doesn't make much sense to me. I'm interested to hear how it goes honestly.

And you're right, most people 21+ don't prefer to be surrounded by 16-17 year olds.

I used to go to 16+ raves all the time when I was that age though, and loved the fact I could talk to people who had been into it longer than I had about the music. Made a real connection for me, and a real mark on me. It's something that I like to give back as well, talking shop and music with people just getting into it now.

It's also a different vibe of party than I frequent.

Best of luck with it man, realize I came off a little snippy before, and that was not my intent. I just don't understand it.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Banned

Spammy as fuck...

Also, these events are terrible. I get asked to play these all the time and refuse. Finally gave it the benefit of the doubt and went to check one of them out. It was worse than I expected. Picture a high school dance, then set it to a soundtrack of all the shitty dubstep and electrohouse tracks you've heard way too many times. Oh and remember all the 16 year olds grinding? Change nothing about that except the tempo. It's awful.

If there's one thing the EDM scene doesn't need, it's 16 year olds throwing "raves/club nights" to play dubstep, electrohouse and moombah. Just let them into real events so they can learn about the scene without inadvertently cheapening and ruining it.

I lived in a college town that had a club that lasted about 8 months with this kind of format... Mostly it was a lack of good music that I think killed it. Just make sure you don't get too deep into the top 40 and cheese. The venue owners also were kind of clueless about promotion and marketing, approached it with out credibility and a network of friends.

The kind of night that really worked for the promoter with out alcohol sales were taking over a venue that lost it's license, concentrating on local djs 7 of 8 weeks out of two months to keep costs down and getting a deal on a headliner that was in the area every so often, usually spread by word of mouth. These parties where also all ages for the most part substance free, the music always great and the company that would attend stellar. They also only pulled about $500ish from the door, but the night ran for about 2 years. I would often times treat it as an after party if I was making rounds because it would be bumping until 7 or 8.

Cut your teeth and have fun promoting this event, really the success lies in getting people to leave the house and come out for a good time, then wanting them to come back for more. Build a line up and cheaply promote it with photocopied flyers until you have a budget, get you and your crews names out there, have fun doing it on dead nights, savor the lively packed nights.