MPB 2011, Live 8 open, slow computer. Is this normal ?

Default MPB 2011, Live 8 open, slow computer. Is this normal ?

So whenever I have a Live 8 project open and I decide to take a break from it and browse the internet a bit, it's really slow. Is this normal ?

I just have like 4 tabs in Chrome open and itunes. And Live 8 of course.

Especially Chrome is painstakingly slow sometimes.

I also checked and I seem to be using 2-3 GB of 4 GB of RAM, that's probably it right ?

Tech Mentor

I have a late 2011 MBP.. How many channels are you running in ableton???? I can run traktor into ableton and stream to the internet while browsing with ease.

Only think i can think of is that you are running high strain vst's and many of them.
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Nope, it's not normal. Is the CPU meter in live lower than 10% when it's not playing?

No VSTs were running.
    About 10 channels in ableton, maybe a tad more.
    And the CPU was barely braking a sweat, I'd say under 10% for sure.

The pages in chrome were loading slow and and scrolling down, even on a loaded page, was in shocks, you know unresponsive, unsmooth scrolling. Also some delay between hitting a key on the keyboard and the appearing of the letter on screen.

When I close ableton everything runs without issues.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

That's odd, open the Activity Monitor and check if Ableton is hogging CPU or RAM.

Possible solutions could be fixing disk permissions, running Onyx to perform some maintenance/cleaning and as a last resort reinstall Ableton. I have a mid 09 machine and leave big projects open for days with no issues.

i would say to verify/repair disk & permissions, clean out cache and empty trash bin. One big thing is clean your desk top, for some odd reason having a ton of junk kills ur CPU for some reason. Also could be alot of junk in the backend. i have a 2010 mbp C2D 2.4 w/8gb ram (overkill) but I usually have serato SSL and/or Itch, ableton, maschine, twitter and safari open at the same time with no hiccups. I use onyx and manually repair permissions.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |