First Experience DJing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First Experience DJing

Alright so the other day I bought an X-session and a Numark DJIO (and actually I had second thoughts about it yesterday, which I definitely no longer do). I'd been using VDJ for a couple months though, so I had a pretty decent grasp on what I was doing.

Last night my buddy was having some people over and asked me to bring everything over and DJ for the party. I was nervous as shit.

Long story short: I had the time of my life. People loved it. Mixing music with 20 drunk kids dancing and having a good time. Now I know why you all love this shit so much. It really is fun. Especially since some of these people are kids I hang out with all the time, building up to songs I know they love was awesome to see their reaction.

I dont know, most of you probably don't really care, but I'm sure you can relate. I'm gonna have to quit my job and just do this forever.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Oh man, we care, and we understand Big ups!
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

yay! small house parties rule!!!!! gratulations buddy!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

ive played at venues with 500+ but i still have way more fun playing at house parties for a select few. glad you had a great time. Just dont quit that job yet, as even most of us have to have a way to support our DJ habit. Going Pro is tough.

Tech Wizard

I'm waiting for my VCI-100 SE and am totally new to DJing, but have a little bit of music amature production background and am amazing how easy and fun mixing is with traktor pro and the mouse ! I'm having a blast with even my mouse as controller now for some weeks
    Can't wait for my VCI-100 SE to come through the customs of Belgium where it is now !

And hope one day to do just what you did, turn on some small drunk house party with some friends ! Sounds like a dream !
    But then i'll need to buy a laptop and soundcard just for that...
    Costs for later first i need to get my hands on the controller itself
    Last edited by pastaman; 06-04-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeRK View Post
    ive played at venues with 500+ but i still have way more fun playing at house parties for a select few. glad you had a great time. Just dont quit that job yet, as even most of us have to have a way to support our DJ habit. Going Pro is tough.
    Yeah I know I was completely not serious about quitting my job . I just cant wait to do it again. It's cool trying to read the feeling in the room and judging what song should go next. It really is like an art, building up that tension.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    It really is like an art, building up that tension.
    So True.
    a big nightclub DJ about 10 years ago explained to me like this...

A proper set is like an all night sex romp.
    First you gotta be chill, rubbing the crowds ears with gentle tunes to get them warmed up. Think Forplay.

Then you start to build that tension you were talking about, buy elevating the energy more and more. Once you got em where you want em...BAM!
    Give them that Auditory Orgasm...

then chill it off, smooth it out, think of it like cuddle time
    and then right back into the passion.

Rinse and Repeat until last call.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by pastaman View Post
    I'm waiting for my VCI-100 SE and am totally new to DJing, but have a little bit of music amature production background and am amazing how easy and fun mixing is with traktor pro and the mouse ! I'm having a blast with even my mouse as controller now for some weeks
    Can't wait for my VCI-100 SE to come through the customs of Belgium where it is now !

And hope one day to do just what you did, turn on some small drunk house party with some friends ! Sounds like a dream !
    But then i'll need to buy a laptop and soundcard just for that...
    Costs for later first i need to get my hands on the controller itself
    why? i guess you have plenty of music at home on vinyl, CD's and/or mp3? burn it to some CD's, arrange 2 CD players, and play at your friends parties...it doesn't have to be that complicated to get a party bouncing

Tech Wizard

i'm just starting out olafmol and well i can only turn at the moment using traktor pro and i just loooooove using the loops and effects section, that's the whole part that makes it fun for me... if i would be at a houseparty i wanna be using the effects and loops that i just love to use
    i guess i'm picky

having fun mixing tunes for people having a great time... yeah, that's what it's about. congrats man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast