Ableton vs. FL Studio... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thank you so much for letting us know about this! I must say that you are a very dedicated person to have written a wonderful post like this! It is very useful to me. thanks a lot.

Try before you buy, find the one that is invisible for you... one that will help your workflow. ie but avoid Cubase its a pig to produce with from 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi Bass View Post
    Try before you buy, find the one that is invisible for you... one that will help your workflow. ie but avoid Cubase its a pig to produce with from 0.
    I usually would be the one to try before I buy, but the FL Studio sale ends tomorrow, lol.
    MAKE SMILES
    ACER Aspire 5755 | TP 2 | MIXED IN KEY | S4 mk2 | LPD8 | MDR-V700 | ODYSSEY L STAND
    SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK| TWITTER

that sounds like a great deal. With lifetime updates for $119 !

>

When one of the options is Ableton Live, I'd ALWAYS go with Ableton Live.

Unless Bitwig surprises us all...

Pssssssstttt... Live 9 is in beta. You ain't seen me, alright...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    When one of the options is Ableton Live, I'd ALWAYS go with Ableton Live.

Unless Bitwig surprises us all...

Pssssssstttt... Live 9 is in beta. You ain't seen me, alright...
    Is Ableton $119 ? At that price ANYONE can afford a DAW. That's a valuable thing when you're a young starving DJ. With free lifetime updates. I love Ableton, but you gotta love that little fruity's swag.

I used Fruity Loops for about 10 years. I think I started on FL4? And you know, it's fun. It's solid. It CAN do everything that you need to make a good track. But it's a mess.

A couple years ago now, I made the switch to Ableton. It really is just soooooo much cleaner and more intelligently laid out. It has much more powerful built in components, and I really like messing about with the live aspect at times with triggering clips.

And by mess, I mean workflow. Fruity Loops just ends up having piles of windows on top of each other, and while I really do LIKE the sequencer for setting up drum patterns... I just can't get over how well Ableton just organizes things better for me. It just makes sense in a logical manner.

I also feel like the GUI (user interface) looks a lot nicer in Ableton. And for something you're going to be spending countless hours staring at, that should count for something.

For me, I see Fruity Loops as a great, inexpensive comparatively, way to get you started. But in the end, you're going to be upgrading down the line to Ableton, Cubase, or Logic... (most likely) and then it's on from there.

There's a reason why many "big name" producers started with Fruity Loops (Porter Robinson, Deadmau5). But then they move on.

Might as well just take that step initially IMO.

My vote is for Ableton. As a DAW, I absolutely adore it.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Porter still uses FL, also Afrojack etc etc. It comes down to your workflow and preference. I really can not stand Ableton's UI. I tried Logic and Reason as well. They are kind of slow to me. I feel FL studio is way faster in workflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Porter still uses FL, also Afrojack etc etc. It comes down to your workflow and preference. I really can not stand Ableton's UI. I tried Logic and Reason as well. They are kind of slow to me. I feel FL studio is way faster in workflow.
    I'm pretty sure I watched a video with Benga still using Fruity for his drums, and rewiring it back into something for the rest.

And that's another thing to consider, you can always add more and rewire to get the most out of everything
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

It can be tricky choosing a DAW, but I really, really recommend trying the demos of all the DAWs you can. As someone else rightly said, it's all about workflow for you. I've used Reason since it's inception (Rebirth before that) and love its endless possibilities and it is very powerful. Every so often I try the latest version of Live just to see what's new but for me I've never really enjoyed the workflow. It's a difficult one to answer OP as everyone will have their favourite, there is no easy way around it, and it will take many months to become familiar with any DAW believe me, there is no quick way.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast