Doing my first gig on saturday
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Doing my first gig on saturday

Hey folks! So... after 6 months of practice, I think I'm finally ready to play for an audience hehe. A DJ from the local bar just asked me if I could spin on saturday and I'm going to say yes, although I'm VERY nervous, but hey gotta step out of the bedroom some time. I'm expected to play ranging from deep house to techno.

I got the tracks, and the skills to play a decent set, but I'm SO nervous. Any one got some last word advice on reading the crowd, how to react and play out? Damn maybe I'll just buy me a six pack to relax before going there or something hehe.

What if the crowd that shows up hates techno and deep house.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by AlanS View Post
    What if the crowd that shows up hates techno and deep house.
    won't really happen since that is the standard type of music there for years now, hehe, people go there to hear other music instead of avicii and all that stuff...

Tech Guru

I'd be bricking it too. If you're ready though then its the next step and I bet you'll want more afterwards!

good luck to you mate! the first one is always a killer for the nerves
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

good luck man, i'm sure you'll do fine since you've been practicing and feel ready. i haven't had very many gigs but i get nervous too. usually after the first few transitions i'm fine though and i'm sure it will be the same for you. have fun out there and let us know how it goes!
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Mentor

Drink a little ease the nerves if you need to, but really don't overdo it lol. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do just fine. Record your set if you can and post here afterwards!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Woah View Post
    won't really happen since that is the standard type of music there for years now, hehe, people go there to hear other music instead of avicii and all that stuff...
    Congrats, sounds my sort of night too. At least with what sounds like a more underground night, you're a lot less likely to get fools asking for requests. You'll be surprised how you relax in to it after a few transitions and you're playing deep house/techno to a crowd expecting nothing less so that's half the battle done. Also, if it's a bar, there will be slightly less pressure to some extent as the sole focus won't be on dancing. Enjoy.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Tech Mentor

Yeah figuring it's a bar I'm going to try to keep it low key, but i'll keep stuff like this >
    to pump up the energy if needed lol.

Tech Mentor

So, my first gig wen't better then I could have hoped. I started out with an almost empty dancefloor and after my 3d track it started to fill up. People were coming up to me saying my mixing was top notch and everything and I got everyone to dance! I got a few new contacts and they asked me to spin again! I'm one happy camper hehehe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast