Why use traktor through ableton?
    Tech Convert

Default Why use traktor through ableton?

Hi all..

Im pretty new to ableton, and I have been reading a lot about it in her. But i was woundering what the big deal with it is. As i kan see, the things i get from directing the sound through live is that i kan set it up, so I kan use my own samples, and ad some other effects. Which of course is nice. but is there more to it? and are the some tutorials i can watch/read to get a better understanding?

I usually use traktor with my vci 100, where i can control it all. But how do i do that using live? Do i still use the vci fortrakter, and the use another controller for live or how do you do it?

I would appreciate any replys, as I would like to learn what all the fuss is about

traktor 3.4( the new update) touches on some intersting new concepts these are virtual midi ports and direct sound. I hope that direct-sound allows traktor to be more flexible with its audio in regard to other programs like ableton LIVE.

When audio is channeled through LIVE, there is a slight bit of delay added.

I use Jack osx to rout audio to LIVE on the macintosh. So it is possible.

Theres really no "one stop shop" that will do "everything" we want it to. By routing Traktor though Ableton, we have all the pros of having much more control over the decks than Ableton live supports. This really comes into its own when you want to layer you own Native Ableton/VST effects in serial or even parallel, in whatever way you want. This is why "smart mixing" is not possible in any other dj software other than Ableton Live. Though "smart mixing" is just one of many things *insert favorite dj software here* cant do.

Heres another example: Say you found some vocal sample you like and you have a cue set on it. You could have a ping pong delay in Ableton Live that routes the "pings" and "pongs" to another channel of its own, with its own effects chain. That way the effects you put on this new channel would be effecting pings and pongs with crazy reverbs or any effects you can think of, while keeping the original voice clip clean of effects, or it could even have its own effects on it that do not effect the ping pong delay.

Theres close to infinite other creations like this you could create for even more control over your music and ill say it again, its just not possible any other way without a program like Ableton Live. You could use Fruity loops, Cubase, *insert favorite DAW here*, but most people agree on Ableton Live having the best interface for live performances and i tend to agree.

"I would like to learn what all the fuss is about"
    The "Fuss" is because this is the way it should be in the first place

"I usually use traktor with my vci 100, where i can control it all. But how do i do that using live? Do i still use the vci fortrakter, and the use another controller for live or how do you do it?"
    You can use your VCI-100 to control Traktor and Ableton live at the same time if you have your system configured correctly.

"Touches on some intersting new concepts these are virtual midi ports and direct sound"
    All direct sound is, is windows standard Direct X sound drivers, which are totally crap for latency, i think this is just better for users that dont have asio drivers on windows. Which really does not help anyone here, as (i hope) we are all after seriously low latencies which direct sound will never be able to help us with.

"I hope that direct-sound allows traktor to be more flexible with its audio in regard to other programs like ableton LIVE."
    Personally i don't even think Traktor should even try to match Ableton Live. They should be working on a Traktor VST so we do not have to worry about all this audio rewiring fuss that just adds unnecessary audio latency no matter what system your using.

Default Traktor VST

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Personally i don't even think Traktor should even try to match Ableton Live. They should be working on a Traktor VST so we do not have to worry about all this audio rewiring fuss that just adds unnecessary audio latency no matter what system your using.
    Traktor VST
    That Would Be Coool!!!
    Let's Put In A Feature Request

The Duelist
    17" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz C2D | MacOS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)
    Traktor 1.2.4 | VCI-100SE v3.4
    Korg Zero8 | NI Audio8 DJ | Akai APC40 | KRK V8 Mk2 | Sony MDR-7506
    Novation Remote SL25MkII | Kore2 | Komplete6 | Virus TI
    Ableton Live8 (Suite) | Logic9 | Reason4 | Audio Hijack Pro

Quote Originally Posted by The Duelist View Post
    Traktor VST
    That Would Be Coool!!!
    Let's Put In A Feature Request

The Duelist
    Actually a lot people have been begging for it for a long time, we are not the first to have this conversation, that or rewire support. Maybe when they produce Traktor 4 (which i dont even think they have started on). Though the latency is not that big a deal, i got my sigmatel onboard down to 3.3 ms overall lattency routing Traktor into Ableton which is pretty decent.

Its still wiring hell though and a VST version would help that, also a vst would work better in Ableton. As it would only show if you had that channel open. I have not given any thought on how i will go back and forth from Traktor and Ableton without using the mouse or alt tabbing with the keyboard.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

How do you configure the VCI to work with both traktor and ableton? I havent had any luck getting this working

Default Traktor As A VST Pluggin

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Actually a lot people have been begging for it for a long time, we are not the first to have this conversation, that or rewire support. Maybe when they produce Traktor 4 (which i dont even think they have started on). Though the latency is not that big a deal, i got my sigmatel onboard down to 3.3 ms overall lattency routing Traktor into Ableton which is pretty decent.
    I Was Thinking More The Other Way Around.
    ie Getting Traktor To Work As A VST Pluggin, (Rather Than A VST Host).
    (I Guess This Would Steal A Bit Of Deckadance's Thunder )
    17" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz C2D | MacOS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)
    Traktor 1.2.4 | VCI-100SE v3.4
    Korg Zero8 | NI Audio8 DJ | Akai APC40 | KRK V8 Mk2 | Sony MDR-7506
    Novation Remote SL25MkII | Kore2 | Komplete6 | Virus TI
    Ableton Live8 (Suite) | Logic9 | Reason4 | Audio Hijack Pro

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    How do you configure the VCI to work with both traktor and ableton? I havent had any luck getting this working
    Erm i think there has been blunder on the post, let me get this sorted out and i will post here when its fixed.

Alrighty sorry about that hiccup, run though the parts in tutorial that cover midi, In particular the Traktor midi screen and the Ableton midi screen. I made a bit of a mistake when i was taking some screenshots - Doh.

All should be well now though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duelist View Post
    I Was Thinking More The Other Way Around.
    ie Getting Traktor To Work As A VST Pluggin, (Rather Than A VST Host).
    (I Guess This Would Steal A Bit Of Deckadance's Thunder )
    Thats what i was trying to say, theres really no need for these programs to run and put VST effects support inside their programs when there are plenty of DAW's that do it ten times better with less cpu. What we is all want is all of these programs to come as VST instruments to load into the DAW of our liking... seems everyone is liking Ableton Live nowadays.

How much can it to be to ask for, i don't even want any effects, bells of whistles. Just thee things nice sounding vinyl/cdj emulation, flexible cue controls, full user midi remapping and a nice sounding keylock that doesnt kill the cpu. I can take care of my own effects chains, gain, EQing, crossfading and what not.

The Traktor though Ableton is keeping me pretty happy though Cant wait until Deckadance sorts out some of their issues then i will gladly fork out cash for their program instead, but until such a time Traktor is for me.