How important is FILE COMPRESSION in mixing ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How important is FILE COMPRESSION in mixing ?

How important is file type in mixing.

I can't hear the difference usually between a 256 kbps mp3's and a 1411 kbps AIFF or WAV.

But DOES it MAKE a DIFFERENCE in MIXING ?

thank you All

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

In mixing? No.

But when you are hooked up to a real professional sound system it can totally make a difference in how everything sounds. There are so many factors involved in the end result not sounding like shit, the last thing you want to deal with is the starting product (original track) sounding like shit.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Default iTunes, Amazon, eMusic FILES ?

iTunes, Amazon, eMusic FILES ?

They range from 160 kbps to 256 kbps. If i can't hear the difference between them and CD quality Files, will the public on Club speakers.

wast majority of my library is in that range.

and thank you very much

Banned

Will it make a difference in a club? Hell yes it will, big difference from 320 to 160. More than anything the bass will sound weak, and the hi's will sound dull as hell.

You might not be able to tell the difference because of you're listening set up at home, but there is a big difference. And just because you can't hear a difference doesn't mean there isn't.

Default What's the minimum kbps one should use?

so i shouldn't use iTunes Files at All ? 256kbs

thanks again

What kind of Files do you guys use ?

Banned

That's the biggest complaint about iTunes, they don't provide files at 320

Tech Guru

do not only compare kbit, but also take in mind the compression used. generally mp3 is not really the best compression algorithm, however its the most deployed and also cheap on the licensing. AAC and OGG both produce the same quality at lower bitrates. OGG for example is very good at really low bitrates, but even at higher bit rates it will sound better than an mp3 at the same bit rate.

iTunes are AAC, but i am not sure how a 256kbit AAC file compares to a 320kbit mp3 file, but it will definitely be better quality than a 256kbit mp3.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

So it seems that with 256kbps AACs or 320 mp3s i will be just fine.

Meaning i'm not going to hear even on a club speakers a difference between the 256 kbps AACs or 320 kbps mp3's and the higher end 1411 kbps AIFFs and WAVs.

Or am i wrong here.

thank you for your help and time
    Last edited by SimondaSilvar; 06-05-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: not enough info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast