Future of DJTT and DJing in General
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Future of DJTT and DJing in General

Ive been a member of DJTT for a few years now. My post count, although no where near some of the members counts is, in my opinion respectable. Ive tried to give help where I can, Ive also upset a few people along the way. Whatever, I suppose we are all keyboard warriors to a certain extent. Some people have been rude and blinkered so Ive done the same back.

I joined after buying Traktor and a simple controller after getting back into djing after a good few years break. Coming from a turntable background i thought I'd give controllers a go. I now use scratch and 1210's.

My issue is where DJTT is going and if it is having an adverse effect on DJing.

Bar the finger drumming routines by the likes of araab music and jeremy ellis, Ive jet to see a routine that plays any good music!!! Its all been hideous. I feel that these routines are turning the art of DJing into a computer game. The new midi fighter 3D is one of the worst gimmicks Ive seen! The recent video of the 11 year old hit the above home to me (not a dig on him by the way, its cool that hes into music at his age). This new form of djing imo sucks and is in danger of killing djing with everyone able to buy a cheap midi controller and a ripped off copy of traktor.

I have no issue with sync, its the music choice that sets djs apart. These routines seem to lend themselves to this total SHIT dubstep and electro music which IS shit. people are entitled to there opinions but im sorry, there is not a respected musician in the world that could like it

Sorry in advance is I upset some people, but if you like this wobble dubstep/brostep whatever wanky name its got, I dont think that you have any taste. Again my opinion and I dont mean to upset anyone.

Of course this is my opinion. I like the forum of DJTT cos it has a couple of good threads and offers some great advice. But the blog, I'm really not keen in the direction its going. I hope people at DJTT don't get offended by this. Its just my 2 cents.

What do other people think?

I think that if you think people who like electro/dubstep are not respectable musicians then you are very very closed minded.

Tech Convert

Hey there. Its a free world and everyone is entitled to opinions but I think you are wrong in this case dude (no offense). It all comes down to one thing...evolution. Things MUST change, whether for good or bad the change must happen. I stand with you on the whole aspect of how djing is bit too easy now, but all that means is the people who suck are just gnna suck a lot quicker now haha. Skills are still skills. Controllerism and finger drumming are way cool IMO as that shit takes practice and serious coordination.

Same with music bro..everyone has their own taste and it's all subjective. I absolutely love all forms of EDM. Too many flame wars going on. I personally can't stand a lot of music out there but it means nothing cuz for every hate there is someone who loves, if there was no hate then the music probly can't be judged.

I myself have been in the realm of art my whole life, I approach this from that viewpoint. All In all it comes back to evolution. My .02

I couldn't care less.

Quote Originally Posted by bfly
    if you like this wobble dubstep/brostep whatever wanky name its got, I dont think that you have any taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by bfly
    ...I dont mean to upset anyone.
    You do need to try harder at the not upsetting anyone game though, mate.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

your saying what were all thinking (at least that's what I think). But the people who treat it like a video game quit pretty quickly when they realize there is no levels and no boss to conquer, then they sell their barely used gear on ebay to me cheap.

I respect the shit outta chase and status musically and they like dubstep and make it incredible well for a crossover band..
    Last edited by synthet1c; 07-16-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I couldn't care less.

You do need to try harder at the not upsetting anyone game though, mate.
    No ones going to cry are they?

Quote Originally Posted by BFLY View Post
    No ones going to cry are they?
    your attitude is shit, and I feel like you're trying to start a rage war thread.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Tech Guru

Post count? Nobody cares about that. Come on, man...

Your music, it's crap and the people who make it are not talented. Also, since you use Traktor you're a cheater. Buy your music on wax and lug all those records around with you. That's the only way to be a true DJ. Otherwise, you're just killing my artform.

Do you see the hyperbole? Am I making any kind of point to you?

@op
    I can understand what you're saying in a sense. I just don't like the music I hear usually on youtube videos/demos usually, I think they tend to lack groove, soul and are most of the time quite cheesy in the music selection. But I won't have used the form you're using to put words to that. It's just it's not the music I tend to like, and that's about it. Yeah I THINK the music sucks but I'm coming from a different background and I don't think I do have any kind of pedigree to judge that. I just tend to ignore them mainly because I'm not very interested.
    Talking about the recent contest, as an example, I think the music used by the winner is horrible, on the other hand the video itself and the work put into/music production and workflow is really interesting.

As putting a video up, well I supposed the format (talking a about "technique") lends to that in a 3/6 minutes format. Mixing two songs that are 6/9 minutes long wouldn't be interesting if you just don't something else.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Otacon View Post
    your attitude is shit, and I feel like you're trying to start a rage war thread.
    Not at all. Just making the point that Its not that upsetting to say certain things

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast