Best place to buy the music you spin?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Best place to buy the music you spin?

Whats the most efficient way to build up that library?

There isn't an efficient way. It takes a great deal of time, and effort. You have to listen to loads of absolute crap, until you find the tunes that will define your sound.

Or you can download the Beatport Top Ten every week and sound like every other "trendy" with a cracked copy of Traktor.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SourOne View Post
    Where do you currently get your music?

Quote Originally Posted by SourOne View Post

Step 1: Figure out what type of music you want to play right now
    Step 2: Search through that genre and other genres on various sites that sell you music.
    Step 3: Buy the gems that make you dance.
    Step 4: Learn songs like the back of your hand. Get sick of them, then learn to love them again.
    Step 5: Goto Step 1.

Tech Mentor

Follow Djs that have the same taste as you, listen to their live sessions and check out their playlists

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    There isn't an efficient way. It takes a great deal of time, and effort. You have to listen to loads of absolute crap, until you find the tunes that will define your sound.

Or you can download the Beatport Top Ten every week and sound like every other "trendy" with a cracked copy of Traktor.
    THIS!

Your taste in music is what defines you as a DJ. You can't rush honing your taste in music, it doesn't work like that. If you want to have your own sound you have to work for it. Listen to LOADS AND LOADS of tunes that fit your niche, and you build your taste from there...and with that comes acquiring music.

This includes lots of trainspotting and crate digging, but if you really love the music, then that's one of the best parts!
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

One thing I've had to watch out for and practice is not getting into the rut of "This isn't the genre I like - therefore I will not like it." I remember one time I heard a tune on a mix that I loved and went to beatport to buy it. As soon as I saw it was Tech House, my mind immediately went "Oh, tech house - nevermind." I stopped myself and thought "Wait a minute, I like this song, who cares if it is tech house?" and purchased it. Take a chance on other genres and try not to be a "Only X" DJ. You'll find some great gems and crossovers that way
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII
    Denon X1600 Professional Mixer
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 Processor, 6 GB RAM

I mainly use Trackitdown.net about 33% cheaper than Beatport, and I seem to find it easier to find stuff I like. I was a bit shocked at Beatport's prices.

Just a note, you don't need thousands of tracks, rather 200-300 really good ones. Quality of quantity me thinks. Don't get everything from Beatport, just the tracks you absolutely love -- you don't like playing tracks you don't like, right?

Also, record pools me thinks are nasty in that people collect thousands of tracks and don't even know how they sound like when going out to play them.

I iike Beatport and Stompy as they sell WAV files and I don't mind paying premium for good audio sound.

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Just a note, you don't need thousands of tracks, rather 200-300 really good ones. Quality of quantity me thinks. Don't get everything from Beatport, just the tracks you absolutely love -- you don't like playing tracks you don't like, right?
    Of course quality is good but quantity is required as well. You need that large amount of tunes to keep the audience entertained and be able to react to their mood and cues. If all you play is banging tracks continuously, the crowd is going to get bored... especially if you're a residential club DJ who plays for at least 4, if not 6 hours, a night. A large quantity (at least 1000) of good tracks (that you like of course) enables you to adapt your mix, create progression, mix harmonically and makes the night a journey rather than a bangin' night at the club (unless of course that's your theme for the mix that night! ). That's my personal take on that philosophy.
    Last edited by Toastmaster; 07-16-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII
    Denon X1600 Professional Mixer
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 Processor, 6 GB RAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast