The Explosive Growth of EDM - Article
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Explosive Growth of EDM - Article

Intriguing article on the growth of Electronic Dance Music, using statistics and numerical analysis; enjoy:

http://edmsnob.com/the-explosive-growth-of-edm/
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII
    Denon X1600 Professional Mixer
    Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel i7 Processor, 6 GB RAM

May of '06, the dubstep monster awakens.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

I find it really intriguing how both techno and house have still kept on kicking, even after 30 years since inception. Guess it'll never die down, since its so basic to the electronic scene. Amazing how trance has still held the world as well, considering how everybody has been saying its a dying genre since 2010.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII

Im afraid to open the article... *cringe*
    https://soundcloud.com/birdsofprey2
    https://twitter.com/MikeOshell

"Ask no questions, you hear no lies" -- Mark Strong

Quote Originally Posted by firebr4nd View Post
    May of '06, the dubstep monster awakens.
    Lol thats too good.
    https://soundcloud.com/birdsofprey2
    https://twitter.com/MikeOshell

"Ask no questions, you hear no lies" -- Mark Strong

Nothing in the article describes how they generated data. So for me all those graphs are worthless without disclosing the sources for all the data. Number of iTunes tracks download. fm statistics? Soundcloud entries, entries in Spotlify playlists, radio airplay (hahaha), feeling the wind in your finger?

Is this world-wide, Europe (where EDM has been huge since the mid nineties), USA (where the growth is happening just now)?, Iceland?

What age group, does it mean that 35-45 age group (that has the most buying power) purchase dubstep tracks? Stuff like that...

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Nothing in the article describes how they generated data. So for me all those graphs are worthless without disclosing the sources for all the data. Number of iTunes tracks download. fm statistics? Soundcloud entries, entries in Spotlify playlists, radio airplay (hahaha), feeling the wind in your finger?

Is this world-wide, Europe (where EDM has been huge since the mid nineties), USA (where the growth is happening just now)?, Iceland?

What age group, does it mean that 35-45 age group (that has the most buying power) purchase dubstep tracks? Stuff like that...
    You're right, they seemed to have forgotten such information (or do not have any such info). I have just contacted them asking for the statistical analysis and/or sampling techniques in this study; hopefully they respond soon so we can understand to a greater extent what the hell we are looking at. I apologize; I should have done this prior to posting.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    2x Denon S3700
    2x Technics SL-1200 MKII

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post

Totally agree, there are more holes in the article than a kilo of Emmental! Surely the article must be referring to the US, dance music has been a huge part of underground and mainstream music in Europe for approaching 2 decades now.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Interesting article but as mentioned above it lacks information about how did they get the data.

Funny thing : Skrillex's EP Scary monsters and nice sprites came out in October 2010 if I remember well. Have a look at the dubstep curve at that time.
    I do not want to start a skrillex/dubstep/whatever/end of EDM debate. I just found that fun the impact a single guy can have.

From a scientific point of view this is literally the worst paper I've ever ready. I've got a master in Chemistry and have been grading people shit reports for a long time to get my masters and this would easily have gotten a D or E. No sources at at all, not even an inkling of where the data comes from. No real explanation of how the data was accumulated and aggregated.

Also saying virtually no one knows sub sub genres is just ridiculous. Tons of people know it. Its just call being lazy with you stats and not characterizing your genres. It give no indication to how the genres were even obtained and defined, another key factor.

No credit to the statistician at all? Where is this persons credentials. Is this some random college kid doing it for a paper for stats class? I mean come on. Whats the point of showing graphs and saying you have a statistician then never showing the data at all.

Also what the hell is the point of this article at all? Its terribly written. If its suppose to be a fact driven article about the growth of EDM its delivers that extremely poorly. What is the point of this article, to show electronic is bigger than in the past with some number picked out of the sky? Great thanks for information 99% of people already know. How about showing the stats and stating some reasoning to why it grew, or why some genres are growing fast, and others are the biggest, how about a null hypothesis to all the stats in general and make an actual paper?

Why go through all the trouble to do this to write a shit article? Apparently this EDMsnob guy has a voice but honestly its really a dumb voice, and its really not a snob at all. This dude is just doing a take on Bikesnob and doing it like completely crap. If it were actually funny, witty, and poking fun at EDM it would be a worthwhile blog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast