How old is too old? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Man, don't worry about it. I think there is a point where getting into the 18 year old club scene is too old... but that's when you are 50+ and thinking about retirement in a few years. And at that point, I'd like to hope we'd all have more money to spend on production equipment anyhow

Mostly, it's a state of mind.

Personally though, I've been going to shows and clubs since I was 16. Before I could drive even, I remember the first show I went to (Uberzone opening for The Crystal Method) a friend's mother drove our entire crew. In a minivan. So fucking boss. Do we still all go to shows together now? Hell yes.

But it also comes from a lot of the DJ's I see who are 18 or thereabouts, are a flash in the pan. They have that one style they like, and unless they really work hard at it, that's what they know. Not many clubs (at least in New England) are 16+ these days.

Having that experience of going to clubs, seeing what's being played, seeing how YOU could do it better.

Well, that's been my motivation.

I'm 27 now, and have one gig behind my belt and a couple more booked. In playing BREAKS, a style that I love and doesn't get played out enough in my opinion. If I wanted to go the top 40 route it'd be easy. But sometimes you have to pursue what you really love. I refuse to touch DnB because a couple good friends of mine just know the genre so much better than I do, but I love it too.

What it comes down to, there isn't really a time that is "too old" I find. A lot of the DJ's who you'll see spinning locally are the kids who really got into the music when they first started hitting clubs, and now are coming up spinning.

Some people find something and they instantly are "I want to be a DJ" and that's great.

Other people find that they love the music so much, that the only way they can properly express that love and share it with other people, is by spinning.

The second option is where I stand, and that's where I see most of the longevity with this profession/love/art/hobby living. Because you can't go into it expecting to make a ton of money. But you can love sharing your music with other people.

And that you can do just fine at most ages.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    Mostly, it's a state of mind.

What it comes down to, there isn't really a time that is "too old" I find. A lot of the DJ's who you'll see spinning locally are the kids who really got into the music when they first started hitting clubs, and now are coming up spinning.

Some people find something and they instantly are "I want to be a DJ" and that's great.

Other people find that they love the music so much, that the only way they can properly express that love and share it with other people, is by spinning.

The second option is where I stand, and that's where I see most of the longevity with this profession/love/art/hobby living. Because you can't go into it expecting to make a ton of money. But you can love sharing your music with other people.

And that you can do just fine at most ages.
    That relative wall-of-text has been an e-kick in the pants and one sorely needed. I noticed similarities in view and lifestyle throughout. Thank you so much for imparting with this, I'm genuinely inspired to go out and work on this passion of mine. Also yes I completely agree that Breaks is a relatively neglected genre.
    Traktor Kontrol S4 | KRK Rokit RP5 Monitor Speakers | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Pioneer HDJ2000 | Macbook Pro 15-inch Mid-2010

Tech Mentor

I remember being 22 and thinking that myself and everyone else in my age group was the center of the universe. Think about professionals like doctors and lawyers, they spend years in school learning and perfecting their craft and don't actually become certified in their profession until their late 20s, early 30s. You are still very young, not just to become a DJ but in life to become just about anything. Don't think because you heard someone started at 11 that you are tool old to start, you might be too old to start the 6th grade but not to old to start DJing by any means. I am 1 of those that started early. I knew when I was 6 that I wanted to DJ, I had a casette recorder and would pretend I was a DJ on the radio. At 14 I was making remixes on a dual casette deck. I got my first mixer and turntables at 18 just shy of 19, started doing house parties and when I was 23 joined a mobile company who btw wouldn't even train anyone under 21 but that was because of maturity level and the fact that you had to run a wedding, so its a different type of DJing than DJing a club. Its a lot easier in this day and age to start DJing compared to when I started so you are going to get a lot of younger people trying it out now. Same with production hardware and software. I spent $450 on an Alesis SR 16 drum machine in 1991 and $700 on a Fostex 280 multitracker 4 track which at the time was considered top of the line for a drum machine and a 4 track. Think about the production gear you could buy now for the same $1150. My point is, the cream will always rise to the top and those with the passion and skill will prevail and stick with it.

I have been at this for 23 years now, and am 42 years old though I don't feel it or look it. In fact, about 2 weeks ago, I had some hot 26 year old girl freaking out because she thought I was like 32 lol. Age aint nuthin but a number, and I will still be doin what I do until my fingers are falling off. Its about having the passion and love for music and what you can do with a mixer, loops, effects, samples....and how you can manipulate them.
    Last edited by dj matt blaze; 07-18-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Dude, relax, 22 is VERY young. I didn't start playing out until i was 23, took a long break b/c of school, work, etc., and just started playing out again a little over a year ago. I'm getting more gigs now than i ever have before and im in my 30s. Your view might be skewed a bit just because a bunch of guys have become famous at young ages recently, but that's not the rule. You have plenty, and i mean, plenty of time. Enjoy.

Tech Guru

God, I wish I could be 22 again.

Start now, and go all in. Grind hard for 2-3 years and see where you end up. If you're broke as a joke and hate your life, stop--you'll only be 25, which is still quite young, and it's how old I was when I got my first "real" job after my band broke up. If you're doing Jesus pose in front of 1500 people three times a week, stop Jesus-posing but keep on running. You'd have a good thing going.

Just remember, if you choose to go all in, you must go all in-- as in treat it like a job. If you don't, you'll never really know how you could have ended up.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by GeekGod View Post
    You have plenty of time.... Don't worry about it - just stick with it and it will happen. Here's some examples.

Here and here
    haha I was thinking the same thing when I saw this thread. here's another video of the second one.

DJ Setup: MacBook Pro, TSP 2.5, (2) Stanton STR8-100, Ecler NUO4, Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, Stanton DJ Pro 2000 headphones, Ortofon Nightclub needles.

I started spinning seriously when I was 31. Before that I used to be MC-ing and producing in Ableton mostly.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

dude lol im 29, and I've been working on music at like 25. Listened for a long time wanted to give it a go and got hooked.

LOL.......... I'm 44 still DJing and producing A LOT. Age is not the problem........ just enjoy yourself. I satered when I was 16... but turned pro when I was quite older at about 22.

If you enjoy it, NOT doing it will make you feel old. Keep doing what you enjoy regardless.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast