How old is too old?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default How old is too old?

Just throwing out a question that's been on my mind.

I am at the indecisive and vacillating age of my life; 22. I have had a passion for all kinds of music since my early teens. However I have only really come in to my own with EDM in the last 4 years, and the idea of DJing has had more then a cursory glance thrown at it.

I myself took the plunge and bought an S4 last year at the age of 21 (22 - 1 = 21). However I have not played more than a few house parties, which I unquestionably enjoyed, in that time frame. I'm finally (after a whole goddamn year) in a position to dedicate a lot more time to this passion as at present I would definitely lump myself in the beginners namespace. However I am concerned that I am a bit late to the game.

I see a myriad of people claiming that they started DJing at 11+ which obviously gives them sufficient time to flourish and lets be honest not many of us had (proper)jobs at the age of 11. While I have the dedication and willpower for the above, I'm wondering is it truly worth it as you don't see the greats starting at the age of 22 do you? Gonna leave out names here to avoid war breaking out. Not that I'm a fame whore , I would just love to both be successful and doing what I love .
    Last edited by FunkyFox; 07-18-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    Traktor Kontrol S4 | KRK Rokit RP5 Monitor Speakers | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Pioneer HDJ2000 | Macbook Pro 15-inch Mid-2010

Tech Mentor

1. Do what you love because you love to do it.

2. It is never to late to do what you love; to excel at what you're doing and become a master of your craft.

3. Do not get into DJing/Music Production with an intention to become famous/rich/or even make a decent living at it. You will likely be disappointed. Passion first, dedication. If it does happen to lead to any of the prior.. so be it.

Tech Mentor

Also... 22 years old? You are a young'un... Just be more dedicated and spend more time than those that "started" at age 16.. and you will catch up to 'skills' of others you think you want but don't have

Tech Guru

You have plenty of time.... Don't worry about it - just stick with it and it will happen. Here's some examples.

Here and here

Tech Wizard

This is art, man.

If it takes you only 11 years on this planet to have something to express musically, great. As with most artistic endeavors though, time, perspective, and experience tend to enhance the depth and beauty of the art a person creates. There is no fast track to experience.

Plus, come on old codger, you've only been able to legally get into clubs for a year, R E L A X...

Peace

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SparkDogg View Post
    This is art, man.

Peace

Easy to forget that.....

Tech Mentor

I've started not more than a year ago and I'm 23

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by drewspuppet
    1. Do what you love because you love to do it.

2. It is never to late to do what you love; to excel at what you're doing and become a master of your craft.

3. Do not get into DJing/Music Production with an intention to become famous/rich/or even make a decent living at it. You will likely be disappointed. Passion first, dedication. If it does happen to lead to any of the prior.. so be it.
    I totally understand that. I also just want to re-iterate this is not a 'I wanna be famous show me how' thread and I do infact love music. For me a life without music is a death.

@GeekGod - I genuinely burst out laughing in work. Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkDogg
    This is art, man.

If it takes you only 11 years on this planet to have something to express musically, great. As with most artistic endeavors though, time, perspective, and experience tend to enhance the depth and beauty of the art a person creates. There is no fast track to experience.

Plus, come on old codger, you've only been able to legally get into clubs for a year, R E L A X...

Peace
    Thanks for the words of wisdom. I guess this thread has pretty much convinced me that I should push on with my passion. Also I'm from Ireland, been going out clubbing for pressing on 5 years now. That isn't to say this thread is over and I'm completely open to discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkAboutIt
    I've started not more than a year ago and I'm 23
    Sweet - kinda needed to hear that.
    Traktor Kontrol S4 | KRK Rokit RP5 Monitor Speakers | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Pioneer HDJ2000 | Macbook Pro 15-inch Mid-2010

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyFox View Post
    I'm wondering is it truly worth it as you don't see the greats starting at the age of 22 do you?
    I'm pretty sure Carl Cox started when he was 22/23
    | Pioneer CDJ 800 | Korg KM202 | Citronic MPCD-S3 |

Soundcloud|Twitter|Mixcloud

Tech Mentor

ive dabbled in production since i was 19 only started really getting into djaying after new years when a mate of mine was working purely on his laptop and im now 25 and like many have said its never to late to start something your passionate about doing

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast