DJ'ing in the middle of nowhere
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default DJ'ing in the middle of nowhere

OK I need some advice from someone who has some experience on this topic. I'm basically planning an outside party which I am DJ'ing in the middle of nowhere away from civilization. I seen a post already about this but I need some more advice. And speak to me clearly people im in school for civil engineering not electrical lol.

I'm planning on bringing all my gear with me to the party (VCI-100, laptop, 2400W Tapco amp, and 600W RMS speakers and some small lighting). My friend has a 5000W generator and I was wondering if that was enough to power everything with no problems...Someone also mentioned a surge protector? Is that all i need to protect my gear? Also I was wondering what else should I be thinking of when planning an event like this so all my gear is protected? including laptop and chords etc. I'm really nervous that I will damage my equipment I worked so hard to buy. Is having a party like this worth the risk? and if you think so I need some good advice on maximum protection.

Thanks guys
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

I don't know if your generator will be strong enough... why not just test it out some time prior to the event?

I always, ALWAYS, bring a power conditioner with me when I play, unless I know the power source will have no issues. Even then, I always make sure I'm well protected from surges. A couple hundred bucks to properly isolate your equipment from power surges is a cheap investment in my mind. Also, I would recommend insurance for any gigs that you are using your own gear.

You also need to take the environment into consideration. Are you playing somewhere hot and humid, or dry and cool. For example, I played an outdoor dark-rave where the CD player keep looking up due to the humidity and heat on the day of the event.

I also bring a shield/hood that I can clamp onto a table (since for outdoor gigs, that's usually what you set up on) to protect my gear from the party. Sure, the crowd can't see what I'm doing so much, but they can't when I'm up in the DJ booth at a club either (usually). At the very least, I keep a roll of plastic wrap in my DJ bag... then I can at least cover my keyboard and a lot of my controller (make sure you don't cover any fan openings) just in case a drink or something gets spilled on it. It's not as good as my shield, but has kept my gear safe once or twice (and if it gets wet, it's quick to pull it off and add a new layer).

If using a table outdoors, I also brings some tents pegs and rope. I use this to ensure the table is well stuck to the ground (i.e. tie a peg to each side of the legs and make sure it's well tight and in the ground). A simple bump can really ruin your night, especially if you are on an uneven surface. Sure, a really hard bump can still knock over the table, but usually you can see that coming and brace your gear for impact.

I know, I may go overkill, but I have yet to ever have to replace any gear broken during an event.

5000W should be fine if you aren't running lights. In my experience its the damn martins and UV cannons that chew the power. 2X UV Cannons@ 1500W each=3K right there! Most Generators have a built in surge protection but it just is common sense that you have a good one for your gear also. As a general guide for generators, you don't wanna max it out so in your case you have a 2400W amp (even though it wont run much past half most likely, Plus your playing gear which is SFA, its just depends on the wattages of your lights, What you running?
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

Im probally going to rent only one revo 3 light to conserve power and a small strobe which I already own. Also where im from its still somewhat cool this time of year, by night time its usually around 12-15 degrees celcius. I was also just informed that the generator is 5500 W. So do you guys really think that its enough to power everything?
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.

It always pays to leave some headroom on the generator, but i think you will be fine mate. If you can afford it, get a surge protector with a battery backup, only 15 mins but great if the generator dies on you (enough time to get it back up and running)
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

yeah it's really not anything more than simple math i believe:

2400W amp < 5500W generator. and your amp isn't going to be blasting out all those watts continuously anyway, so you're straight. you've got a good 3000W to play with :P

other than that, if you can get one of those "event" type tents to cover the space where your gear is at, it doesn't limit view while still protecting everything from unexpected weather.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

Yup, I'm renting a huge army tent for the event. Thanks for the reassurance guys

Army tents are sweet. If you go all night, take bug spray. Little buggers will go at your screens all night
    Last edited by Jester; 06-08-2009 at 06:41 AM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post

2400W amp < 5500W generator. and your amp isn't going to be blasting out all those watts continuously anyway, so you're straight. you've got a good 3000W to play with :P
    The max current draw of the amp is written on the back or check the manual.
    amps * volts = watts
    It will probably be much less than 2400W. It probably has a rated draw of about 9 or so amps which would be 1080 Watts at 120 volts. Music has spaces in it so It can put out 2400W and recharge the capacitors in between the notes that use full power. Even pro touring grade amplifiers have a max draw much less than the output they are rated for.

Tech Wizard

Did you check to see how loud the generator is. A construction generator will be much to loud. They do make some quiet generators in that size though. I think they are sold more as camping generators.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast