How Do i Speed up the VST respond time on Ableton?

Default How Do i Speed up the VST respond time on Ableton?

hey guys i am using ableton to make music and i use VST's and the respond from my Keyboard to the Computer is .5 seconds back. all the Built in instruments are right on but the VST's are slow...anyone know how to speed it up?

It's hard to diagnose these things without actually being at the computer, but………

Lower your buffers (plugin and audio if Live has control over both…can't remember ATM).

If you get audio dropouts or flaws, either deal with it while recording or disable other plugins. Also, if you've got a lot of processing going on, that adds delay……you can either freeze tracks or just bypass plugins while you're recording. Or bounce tracks to audio post-instruments and processing to free up resources while you're recording (if there's already stuff in the sessions)……it takes very little processing to just sum audio streams……it takes a lot more to do all the processing in real time, especially if you're dealing with greedy plugins.

When I'm recording (MIDI or Audio) I tend to run as few plugins as possible with the buffer set to 32 or 64 samples……when I go to mix the track, I jack the buffer up as high as it'll go to allow more plugins.

Also, getting a better audio interface that works better at low audio latencies should help if nothing else does……depending on what you're using. I've had no real problems with my scarlett 2i2 and the NI KA6 is well-regarded for low-latency performance. If you have the money and a desktop, the PCIe-based cards (Motu, Avid, RME, and others make them) give awesome low-latency performance, but they're also insanely more expensive than budget desktop cards.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Descendent View Post
    hey guys i am using ableton to make music and i use VST's and the respond from my Keyboard to the Computer is .5 seconds back. all the Built in instruments are right on but the VST's are slow...anyone know how to speed it up?
    Are you using your computer keyboard or a MIDI keyboard/piano?

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    It's hard to diagnose these things without actually being at the computer, but………

Lower your buffers (plugin and audio if Live has control over both…can't remember ATM).

If you get audio dropouts or flaws, either deal with it while recording or disable other plugins. Also, if you've got a lot of processing going on, that adds delay……you can either freeze tracks or just bypass plugins while you're recording. Or bounce tracks to audio post-instruments and processing to free up resources while you're recording (if there's already stuff in the sessions)……it takes very little processing to just sum audio streams……it takes a lot more to do all the processing in real time, especially if you're dealing with greedy plugins.

When I'm recording (MIDI or Audio) I tend to run as few plugins as possible with the buffer set to 32 or 64 samples……when I go to mix the track, I jack the buffer up as high as it'll go to allow more plugins.

Also, getting a better audio interface that works better at low audio latencies should help if nothing else does……depending on what you're using. I've had no real problems with my scarlett 2i2 and the NI KA6 is well-regarded for low-latency performance. If you have the money and a desktop, the PCIe-based cards (Motu, Avid, RME, and others make them) give awesome low-latency performance, but they're also insanely more expensive than budget desktop cards.
    Exactly - when you're done designing and sequencing a track that uses a plugin, bounce it down to audio or record it to an audio track inside of Ableton.