Ableton mapping: NanoKontrol and MPK 25
    Tech Mentor

Default Ableton mapping: NanoKontrol and MPK 25

I've been investigating a few controller options for producing in Ableton..

I usually set up in Ableton with a bunch of Simpler channels. One each for the Kick, HH, synth sample etc. I find this easier to edit than drum racks if you want to edit one sound / pattern. Each channel has usually: a distortion VST, filter and EQ with A and B sends to delay.

At the moment I just click around with a mouse but especially for trialing distortion levels, ADSR etc, it's not ideal. But any controller option would have to be as quick as the mouse - or I'd just revert back to it and it'd be a waste of time.

Maschine is very popular but it kind of seems pointless to me to strap on another 50% of a DAW to my workflow when I'm happy working in Ableton. Exporting back and forth (while you can drag and drop) just seems unnecessary.

What I'm thinking:

NanoKontrol handles all the mixer functions / track arm / track select.

MPK: switches to the active track

Keyboard - keyboard for the active simpler - this way I can have for e.g. an 808 across a keyboard

Knobs: Bank A - Macro controls for the Simpler - ADSR, Start, Length, Pitch
    Bank B - Macro controls for distortion VST, EQ (low cut and high cut) and filter (LP & HP & peak for each)
    Leftover knobs would go to A, B sends and delay controls

Pads: Ideally bank A for active track and bank B: C3 for 12 tracks (but I suspect this isn't possible). The pads I could use for drums but as I prefer to stay away from drum racks - it's probably not necessary, I can always draw them in or tap them out in each channel.

Importantly, the macro knobs would switch to the active track and its value (I believe this is possible through creating a script).

If I got more into synths then I could create macro knobs for the synth and these would map automatically when I selected that track.

I know that's a long post but thought I'd throw it out there. I believe this is all possible? Is there a better way to do it?

Honestly i hated the Korg Nano Kontrol, too small and cheap feeling. Its subjective of course but I just picked up a used UC33e and this is money for controlling levels, effects, etc. I guess my point is to get something that has some room for your hands. I cant really comment on the rest.
    http://soundcloud.com/razzlesnaz
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Razzlesnaz/
    http://mixlr.com/razzlesnaz/
    Ableton Suite 8.3/Reason 5/ Sub Boom Bass /Massive/Razor/DCAM Synth Squad/ Akai MPD26/ Novation LaunchPad/Traktor 2.5/Kontrol S2/Kontrol S4/ Kontrol F1/Radium Keyboard/Focusrite Saffire 6/UC-33e

Tech Mentor

Okay cool - thanks for the heads up on the Nano Kontrol

I'm not a big fan of Korg at all. I actually hated all the nano series models, after purchasing the nanokontrol1 and taking it back years ago. At the moment I do have the nanokontrol2 and nanopad2. The build quality on both these controllers are pretty weak compared to similar controllers made by Akai. The issue was after i purchased my launchpad. I wanted a small portable controller with 8 faders and knobs to use with the LP. The launchpad is really kind of a pain in the ass to use as you have to constantly have to page back in fourth to access all controls and all the paging really slows down work flow. When the nano series 2 came out. I bought the nanoKontrol2 out of frustration for my launchpad. I absolutely hated this controller it did what you would expect but not much more than that. The plastic faders kept popping off in the middle of using and the overall support to Ableton sucked. I finally came across a nanoKontrol2 mod I'm actually a beta tester for this mod. The mod adds a ton of functionality, user personalization and value to the unit. The mod is called mapease it's from NativeKontrol. NativeKontrol makes awesome Mods. Mapease actually works for several other controllers including Maschine, Apc's and others. After mapease and my little super glue mod to the faders, I've actually come to love the nanoKontrol. I have quite a few other controllers but the nanokontrol gets the more use than all of them. It's nice to have a nice compact way to control Ableton for one controller, that works exactly how i want it to.

Just a note! The nanoPad2 is still a piece of junk
    My Mule = Sony Vaio 2.80/3.50GHz)i7 W/solidstate Drive + 8 Gigs Ram. Win7. The Studio = Custome built tower + Samsung 32" LED walmout monitor Ableton8 Suite+Max,Isotonik,OCTPAD NativeKontrol Apc-CL1, APC-40,Launchpad,Maschine,NanoKontrol2,MPK49,LPD8,MPK Mini,,Reason4,Vestax Pmc25 2CDJ 1000mk2

Tech Mentor

Thanks for your info - yeah I'm holding off on a Nanokontrol

I can't really seem to work out what would be the best solution, keep see-sawing so I'll probably hold off for a bit. To some extent, the mouse works fine

I am a firm believer in midi controllers adding to and freeing you to really make some real time inputs by feeling the music rather than mouse programming. Whatever you end up getting, get something. If you dont like it sell it and buy something else. Thats what so many of us have done. I dont know if you all have craigslist down under but its a treasure trove state side of used but not abused midi controllers.
    http://soundcloud.com/razzlesnaz
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Razzlesnaz/
    http://mixlr.com/razzlesnaz/
    Ableton Suite 8.3/Reason 5/ Sub Boom Bass /Massive/Razor/DCAM Synth Squad/ Akai MPD26/ Novation LaunchPad/Traktor 2.5/Kontrol S2/Kontrol S4/ Kontrol F1/Radium Keyboard/Focusrite Saffire 6/UC-33e

Tech Mentor

I have a midi keyboard just no pot controls at the moment. I've been working with a lot of samples so it hasn't been too much of a problem. I want to work on my bass though and get more into synthesis so I'm thinking as a starter I'll map my X1 to some vst controls