Why Isn't Drumstep MORE Out There?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Why Isn't Drumstep MORE Out There?

This is something I don't understand,It's at a faster BPM....you get all the effects and sounds you would hear from a regular 140bpm track.....yet some producers have YET to pick up on it? I enjoy it due to its weird crossover with hip-hop

.....Here is my first Drumstep attempt
    -EK

-Killin Stereotypes One Distorted Synth At A TIME!

I think it is coming around, but still hasn't really got a solid footing for me to want to try to play a set of it. I cant wait for it to start to splinter a little more so that a great set can be put together.

I think just living in the same proximity as Terravita (as they are from Boston) has swayed me in the way of Drumstep. And I've heard good sets of it out on many occasions.

But it's tough. People love DnB. People love Dubstep. Generally, those two crowds have difficulty mixing together to a degree, because there's so many pricks in both :P I really really love good Drumstep, and I think it's a nice way to change up a DnB set at times.

Because honestly, it's just DnB with half-time drums.

Dieselboy also drops some pretty good stuff on the drumstep lines, as human/subhuman have always been pushing that hard east coast american sound.

Anyhow, I fucking love it done right.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

first off, that track was crazy good, especially for a first attempt.

and i definitely agree that someone needs to do work and make some serious drumstep, you have the odd big name throwing a drumstep track out but nothing serious. I tend to drop it in when I feel like it and the kids i play parties for usually love it, if you can get the timing perfect and transition out of a hip hop track smoothly into a bass heavy drumstep track it definitely injects some energy into the crowd, even if they're not into drumstep they can feel the aggressive vibe

i went through a huge drumstep/dnb/dubstep phase a bit ago and you can check out my imaginary friends and stitching up monsters mixes on soundcloud if you would like to listen. i personally could not spin a set that was entirely drumstep or dnb so i love that i can add the half time feel more easily now that its more accessible. that was always my issue with dnb back in the day...the lack of good half times beats to break up the monotony for me. hive was one of the only guys who was doing it at the time, and some of ming and fs older stuff as well.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    People love DnB. People love Dubstep. Generally, those two crowds have difficulty mixing together
    Yup. I think the underground can mix over the two and the overground can mix, but never over to under or under to over. That gets messy.

Because honestly, it's just DnB with half-time drums.
    Nah. Case in point:

Now thats proper dnb with half time drums. Drumstep has more in common with commercial dubstep/electro than dnb. It lacks soul, passion and, in my opinion, credibility. It's merely the afterbirth of 'brostep' people are clinging onto because 'brostep' and electro house aren't 'cool' any more.

tbh, I cant wait for it to get popular so these jock's and bro's leave my dnb nights to go and hi-five and fist pump in some other shit hole dive-bar.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

imho, drumstep was "big" 2 years ago but it somehow gets really boring by some time. 2010 i was totally hokked on that stuff but somehow after 5-6 months everything sounded the same.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

I play a lot of drumstep and actually prefer it over 140 bpm dubstep. Check out dieselboy for a big name dj that regularly mixes a lot of it in his sets (played to predominantly dnb crowds).
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by djspinnaspin View Post
    ...yet some producers have YET to pick up on it?
    Haha. I'm not offended or anything, but that producers ought to be on top of trends in order to enable them to write at a faster tempo seems like a bizarre point of view to me.

I do like dubstep but the current material available is so focused on the mid-part wobble-wobble-wobble so it becomes very monotonic to play set after set with the same kind of sound. Me thinks dubstep will evolve (post-step et rest) and the material becomes more versatile so dubstep sets also become more interesting. As usually UK paves the way, listen to any of the Mary Ann Dobbs radio shows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast