I'm a New DJ - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm a New DJ

I'd go with a pair of technics & traktor scratch pro. nothing feels realer than that. Can be done fairly inexpensive as well.
    2x Technics SL-12000 mk2 / 2x Numark HDX
    Kontrol Z2 / Ecler Nuo 3 / Custom Vestax 07Pro 25th Anniversary, Blue Led's & integrated Audio 6 / Numark DXM06 w/innofader
    Novation Dicer / NI Maschine / Kontrol X1 / F1
    TSP2

my first controller was a keyboard ;P
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    my first controller was a keyboard ;P
    i second that! and i can tell you, that i still have that one!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

This kid has got RGAS BAAAAD. Sounds like he can afford it, though...

So, I suppose it's just GA, then.

I've said it before a million times, by far the BEST way to start out is simply with a keyboard and mouse. Learn your software inside out, find out what it actually IS that you want your controller to control, then get the controller that matches your requirements closely enough.

You'll be lucky if you find a single controller that fits your need exactly.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I started on keyboard and mouse. Now 6 years later im on an S2
    Also if you want to get more technical turn it to midi mode and make some custom mappings.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Keyboard, and a number pad was my start. Then a bcd3000

Op, seeing as you mastered the S2 so quick, pick up an S4, 2 F1s, 2 X1s, a pair of CDJ2000s, a pair of Technics 1200 mk8s, a midifighter pro, and a MF3D, some beats studio cans, a B&D 4 speed mixer, 4 KRK rokits and a 16" subwoofer. That should set you up just nice, and you will have some new stuff to master.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Get two belt driven turntables and the shittiest mixer you can find, then buy some old records. If you learn to mix on them then you can use pretty much anything

Quote Originally Posted by brosephh View Post
    Get two belt driven turntables and the shittiest mixer you can find, then buy some old records. If you learn to mix on them then you can use pretty much anything
    I kind of agree, crap DJ hardware and that really makes you ready for anything. Also forces you to work more about song selections, transitions and stuff that is really important.

Tech Wizard

I started out on my laptop keyboard running VDJ...then I got a Hercules RMX which was actually amazing and fit my needs perfectly once i mapped it out. i started beatmatching on that and then got invited to play a show...where the house equipment was 2000's...armed with 2thumb drives and a shit load of adrenaline i learned quick and almost shit my pants cause i was so nervous...nothing like just getting thrown in the pool and told to swim...now i have two gemini cdj 600s a gemini mixer and if i wanna run on my laptop i run the 600s through my rmx. learn what kinda djing you want to do...if you just wanna play parties and maybe a bar every now and then stick w/ the s2 and try different mapping and maybe add an f1 to get creative...if you wanna club dj or even show dj then grab a pair of cheap cdjs and mixer and learn to go without the computer like i had to...cause most of the time the club or shows will have house equipment such as pio 1000s or 2000s...

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by brosephh View Post
    This actually is not a bad idea, I started with Soundlab DLP'1s (belt drive) and a 2 ch mixer (with 3 band EQ on the output only, no individual ch EQ), if you can nail down 1-2min transitions with no trainwreck, moving over to Technics was like a dream move. It also taught me to carefully adjust the volume fader, manage the transition, ride the pitch, know your records inside out etc. Good basic skills still used now.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast