I'm a New DJ
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm a New DJ

Default I'm a New DJ

I was looking for some equipment to use for starting out. I had the tractor kontrol s2 but i wanted something with a little higher quality but easy to use...any suggestions. I have no budget

Tech Mentor

You seriously gave up a Kontrol S2, what. I would have killed to start with a Kontrol S2

S2 is good, learn to use that one. If you can't master S2, stay away from any other similar pro gear.

lol. someone else told me the same but to me it didn't feel authentic. I have played with it for a while before i bought my own just ready to challenge myself with new equipment to stay on my toes. if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bearthecrown View Post
    lol. someone else told me the same but to me it didn't feel authentic. I have played with it for a while before i bought my own just ready to challenge myself with new equipment to stay on my toes. if that makes sense.
    Pioneer CDJ-2000s and corresponding Pioneer mixer. Not that I think anyone with an S2 and learning it inside out could get very creative. Today it's mostly about a creative mind and less about equipment.

ok ill look into those thanks! I definitely understand...as long as you are dope equipment is not really a factor.

lol. Come on. From an S2 to 2000s. Dude if you don't know the difference between those two stick with the S2. The gear isn't limiting you.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
    lol. Come on. From an S2 to 2000s. Dude if you don't know the difference between those two stick with the S2. The gear isn't limiting you.
    lol ^ this. $500 S2 to cdj-2000 $6000+ setup? Prolly not a good idea. I would maybe go with the CDJ-900 and DJM-900 nexus. Still $4k + though

I would think that most new DJs should spend hours and hours listening to EDM, learning different styles, chasing for new tracks, learn to mix anything with anything with proper and cool transitions, figure out how to control the audience, what tracks to play at a certain time or event and what not, how to capture the audience, how to finish an evening, stuff like that. This separates the pros from the beginners -- any newbie with money could get two CDJ-2000s and a DJM-2000 but if the fundamentals are not there, it's just a waste of money.

I.e. you could do all that with an S2 as the starting point, that equipment is not the limiting factor.

PS: I put out the CDJ-2000 as a teaser. If I would get CDJ gear I would get low-end Pio (350 or 400) as the clubs have the high-end gear and no need to waste money on high-end gear just to learn to use Pios.

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    I would think that most new DJs should spend hours and hours listening to EDM, learning different styles, chasing for new tracks, learn to mix anything with anything with proper and cool transitions, figure out how to control the audience, what tracks to play at a certain time or event and what not, how to capture the audience, how to finish an evening, stuff like that. This separates the pros from the beginners -- any newbie with money could get two CDJ-2000s and a DJM-2000 but if the fundamentals are not there, it's just a waste of money.

I.e. you could do all that with an S2 as the starting point, that equipment is not the limiting factor.
    Great Points! In my opinion I have all those things down. Just looking for an upgrade and getting a general idea of what the next step entails. But I still call myself fresh because there is always more to learn.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast