Auto Rest Function for knob values!?
    Tech Mentor

Default Auto Rest Function for knob values!?

So I'm new to the ableton mapping game. Despite this I've managed to map a couple of complex chain effects through trial and error. But what I've been trying to figure out is if there is a way for a knob value to automatically reset once the chain has turned off... so you don't have to turn your encoder back until zero. After a day of fiddling and searching, I've seen no solution. Is this a foolish task? is this even possible?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Henrimartel View Post
    So I'm new to the ableton mapping game. Despite this I've managed to map a couple of complex chain effects through trial and error. But what I've been trying to figure out is if there is a way for a knob value to automatically reset once the chain has turned off... so you don't have to turn your encoder back until zero. After a day of fiddling and searching, I've seen no solution. Is this a foolish task? is this even possible?
    A button on your controller mapped to a macro knob with values set to 0|0 should do it I think.

If you use M4L there's other solutions which should work.

Sounds like you're using endless encoders?

But I don't see the point of what you're doing - you'll still need to have the rack visible in order to select which chain you'll be using, so why does it matter if your encoder is not set to zero? It's the difference between turning the encoder to the left or the right... Insignificant.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Sounds like you're using endless encoders?

But I don't see the point of what you're doing - you'll still need to have the rack visible in order to select which chain you'll be using, so why does it matter if your encoder is not set to zero? It's the difference between turning the encoder to the left or the right... Insignificant.
    Not necessarily if he has the chain hard-mapped to macro knobs.

I can't understand perfectly why it would make life easier - its never fun when you have to turn down all the knobs for example, on 5 effects, filter and eq that you were previously running when you want to go and trigger a new clip "dry" in quick succession on the same channel, it'd be much easier to just have a zero reset and be done with it in a single click.

of course it may not look as impressive as great big sweeping knob twists the wrong way

I understand completely, now. And it DOES make perfect sense.

I though the wanted the chain selector knob to reset to zero - not the actual controls within each rack.

Yeah - great idea. i hope you get it working! (Sounds like a single button to reset all para's is the way to go).
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Dummy clips are the way to go! Assign a blank clip or a copy of the one on air with the automations you need.

Tech Mentor

So far that video seems to be the only option and yes I have a chain mapped to a micro and I have my jog wheel mapped to it. I'm using a S2 so when I touch my jog wheel the rack is turned on, when I let go it turns off. My asspirations are that once I let go of the jog wheel the knob will reset. I'm gonna see if i can combine the info in the video to achieve this.

Maybe create a reset clip and map it to be "launched" or activate when the jog wheel touch sensor is a zero for min and max?!