Need Help With My Set Up (I Am A Beginner!) - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

jaycee, I don't think anyone is telling you to ditch your laptop. It is good practice to have a small amount of CDs with you for when, not if, your laptop crashes. Something will go wrong eventually, and you'd rather have a backup then just be stuck there with your thumb up your ass.

I'm assuming, of course, you have experience DJing in more 'traditional' forms (ie: CDs/vinyl).

The VCI-100 is all but built for Traktor 3. The tks that Vestax offers is a great starting point for the controls the unit can utilize. My recommendation for another MIDI controller is for when you have exhausted the VCI-100 and want to do more things. This becomes advantageous for remapping the VCI-100 and not losing the functionality. For example, I can't use the VCI-100 for cue juggling. I wouldn't want to give up the functionality of so many things for jumping cue points. But, I can use it for more advanced effect work, using a PadKontrol for cue juggling, and replacing the controls I've lost.

The advantage of these pieces of equipment is that they really are open ended. You are only limited to the controls on the equipment, your understanding of MIDI programming, and your imagination at using them.

Oh, and to answer your question, I'd say look at the M-Audio Trigger Finger, PadKontrol, Akai MPD32, any of the M-Audio Oxygen series, the Korg Kontrol49 and the comparable Akai model (can't remember the name offhand), and, well, anything else you find. It's all MIDI, so it all works.

Good luck to you
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    jaycee, I don't think anyone is telling you to ditch your laptop. It is good practice to have a small amount of CDs with you for when, not if, your laptop crashes. Something will go wrong eventually, and you'd rather have a backup then just be stuck there with your thumb up your ass.

I'm assuming, of course, you have experience DJing in more 'traditional' forms (ie: CDs/vinyl).

The VCI-100 is all but built for Traktor 3. The tks that Vestax offers is a great starting point for the controls the unit can utilize. My recommendation for another MIDI controller is for when you have exhausted the VCI-100 and want to do more things. This becomes advantageous for remapping the VCI-100 and not losing the functionality. For example, I can't use the VCI-100 for cue juggling. I wouldn't want to give up the functionality of so many things for jumping cue points. But, I can use it for more advanced effect work, using a PadKontrol for cue juggling, and replacing the controls I've lost.

The advantage of these pieces of equipment is that they really are open ended. You are only limited to the controls on the equipment, your understanding of MIDI programming, and your imagination at using them.

Oh, and to answer your question, I'd say look at the M-Audio Trigger Finger, PadKontrol, Akai MPD32, any of the M-Audio Oxygen series, the Korg Kontrol49 and the comparable Akai model (can't remember the name offhand), and, well, anything else you find. It's all MIDI, so it all works.

Good luck to you

I have NO experience in a live DJing style. I have been into music engineering for a good while though. So all this is making no sense to me!

So for the most part would the VCI work with Traktor or not? I understand I may loose some functionality but for now I am just learning how to live loop, add some live effects etc.

Will the VCI fulfill this? With Traktor can I scratch on the VCI with its dual track pads

sorry if I am a bit slow.

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee8980 View Post
    Would the VCI's controls sync well over to Traktor 3???? Or would it be very hard to get them to correlate?
    Do they "sync well"? It's hard to answer that question as all MIDI controllers start off as a meaningless box of buttons, knobs and sliders. You have to use the MIDI setup menus inside Traktor to build a personalised mapping that maps each knob or slider to a control in the software. Most people start off with a general purpose mapping that comes either with the device itself or can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

This mapping works only as well as you make it work. You practice, you tweak, you learn. Controllerism is about learning a new kind of instrument, it takes practice. The question you need to ask is, what do you want to *do*?

You seem a little confused. I'd suggest looking at some of the videos Ean has produced on the main page of this website, to see what the VCI-100 and other MIDI controllers can do and how they can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    Do they "sync well"? It's hard to answer that question as all MIDI controllers start off as a meaningless box of buttons, knobs and sliders. You have to use the MIDI setup menus inside Traktor to build a personalised mapping that maps each knob or slider to a control in the software. Most people start off with a general purpose mapping that comes either with the device itself or can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

This mapping works only as well as you make it work. You practice, you tweak, you learn. Controllerism is about learning a new kind of instrument, it takes practice. The question you need to ask is, what do you want to *do*?

You seem a little confused. I'd suggest looking at some of the videos Ean has produced on the main page of this website, to see what the VCI-100 and other MIDI controllers can do and how they can be used.
    I understand that. sorry for this bad analogy but is it like in a video game where you can map each controller button to a function in the game? Same kind of thing am i correct?

What I wanted to know though, was if all features are possible in traktor with the VCI 100. Such as live scratch and stuff. Or is there an inherent flaw where such things are not possible. Like devilsadvocate said, he cant cue juggle

Would you recommend the X session pro or VCI. I want something that will last and have many features. I know the learning curve on the VCI wil be difficult but I catch on fast.
    Last edited by jaycee8980; 07-07-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Do you have any open minded friends who DJ regularly ? If so ask them for a quick lesson or 2 on some technics or CDJs .
    Stick with the VCI 100 it works great . I love the thing

Nope lol. Just me. And I think I am going to get the VCI. Is mapping it similar to what i stated in my previous post.
    Going through the preferences in traktor and setting each function to a knob or slider on the VCI?

You can load premapped files called TKS. files that offer all kinds of cool functions different users have set up.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yes, to not make it any more complicated

the answer to your question is yes, it 'syncs' very well. Just download a tks from the Vestax website and you are good to go
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Yes, to not make it any more complicated

the answer to your question is yes, it 'syncs' very well. Just download a tks from the Vestax website and you are good to go
    Awesome to hear! Do the scratch effects work well on Traktor with the VCI? Or is there some major latency. I will be going through an M Audio Pro External USB soundcard?

Do you guys recommened this External sound card

just some info for how i use the vci and all that....

i strictly mix house/electrohouse/breaks/techno.....

worrying about speakers at this point isnt at all that necessary...

the clubs will have the sound for you and a dedicated soundguy -audio tech

all you really need to do is plug in your vci, plug in your sound card, turn your comp on, turn on traktor, and run your audio from the soundcard straight into the mixer at the club which is already going to be set up with the sound...its pretty simple... i usally just plug into an unsed channel and then i am off!

however...if you want to practice at home...you can either use a moderate stereo system, or invest in some decent monitors.

as far as setting up your vci to work with traktor its as simple as opening a word document...basically u tell traktor to use a certain file ( tks file ) which will then map all the controls of the faders and what not to the vci...takes no more than 3 seconds to do...

if your looking at scratchign with the vci--i dontthink its quite there yet...however it is possible...but...i personally think its hard...check out the cardboard box scratch machine on the front page of DJTT...that thing is great!

in all honesty...the vci is wonderful...i used to have a pioneer 500 and two sl1200 mk5s with serato.....traktor is dope period....the vci just makes thing simple and easy....think of it as two CDJs ...and all of your controls are at your fingertips... and jsut think the vci 100 is just the begginging in whats to come!

hope this helps!
    Last edited by wgdavis78; 07-07-2008 at 04:37 PM.

DELL XPS M1710 : MOTU Ultralite : VCI-100
    dirty electro funky hip house:eek:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast